Can I sell photos online ?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by simplyjo, Nov 28, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay.. So, suddenly I have developed a new love for photography. Now, I am wondering - Is their a scope to make this a full time business ?
    I need help on where to sell digital photos (full rights or 1 time download) online. I saw many stock photo sites which pay 25 c to 75 c per download.. And they have some spectacular pictures up there - so would a newbie like me even stand a chance ? I guess, it would be a waste of my time to upload pics on such sites and keep waiting for a measly 25 cent ?
    Are there any new/experienced photographers here who can help me ? I did a lot of search on google, read my articles, but unable to find the right direction. I am very new so now as good as the photographers on the stock sites.
    I am looking at selling each photo for $10 only with full rights (I know ppl get upto $500 per photo..but those are professionals - I am a newbie) ! Where can I get my expected pay per photo ?
    Pls guide me.
    Thanks,
    Jo

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting your business questions Jo. Do you concentrate on any particular type of photography, e.g. landscape or portrait?

Are there any photography contests in your area that you could enter, to help build your profile?

There is a very active camera club in my home town. They are really supportive of new photographers - helping them with technical questions, with contests and with exhibiting etc. Do you know if there is anything like that in your area?

Have you considered doing commissions, such as family portraits or photos for a wedding or other event?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi simplyjo,
    I recently bookmarked a site wherein you can upload your photographic stocks and when someone downloads it, you will get a commission from the purchase. It's like selling your digital pictures online.

Here's the site: http://www.dreamstime.com/

4. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could you start by opening a new blog or adding to an existing one telling people about your photos and putting up a few samples (add a watermark or you URL to the photos so people cannot download or copy with that being seen). If you have enough photos of differing styles you will probably make more cash selling directly than through other sites as they already have thousands of other photos and having your one selected is a bit of a lucky dip.

6. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

istockphoto (http://www.istockphoto.com) is quite popular and I know a few people who make a decent living selling their photos on it. Their are lots of other ways to make money selling photos. Hire yourself out, send a few pics to magazines and publications. Find your niche and network as much as you can.

7. samklein

samklein
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not as familiar with the world of photography, but I know that with music is it immensely hard to jump directly into selling your work. I would recommend creating a website and hosting your photos where any one can view or download for free. After you've established a user base, try creating a collection of some of your best work along with stuff people haven't seen and sell it as a coffee table book.

If you're truly serious about photography, it shouldn't be about the money anyway!

8. redhat39

redhat39
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Hi Jo

Actually you can sell photos online in lots of places. In fact I just read an eBook
    guide that explains the whole process and it looks very easy to do. In the eBook
    it told where even photos that you would normally delete could be best sellers.

Especially if the have children or animals in them. Also crowd scenes and for some
    strange reason highway traffic were good sellers as well.

If I can find the olink to where I got the eBook from I'll PM the link to you.

It was a very good read and full of useful ideas.

Take Care
    --Rick

9. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

I prefer landscapes to portraits. I normally click flora and fauna, scenery etc.
    I dont know of any such clubs in my area :( Plus, I am not really a pro - Just want to earn a little money from a hobby, thats all :)
    I dont plan on doing events/photo shoots or taking it up as a career. Just want to rake in some extra cash with it.

Thx,
    Jo

This article is very helpful,indeed. Got all necessary info to start up and establish yourself as a photographer and earn tons of money too. Great stuff. Thanks a ton.

10. keshavn73

keshavn73
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is really a tough line i guess because now many sites are offering free wallpapers and free image hosting...

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with everything Jo. An Irish couple started a similar business some years ago. They started out with a website to sell their own photographs and then developed the website to the point where it was sold to Getty Images for $135 Million, early in 2006. Maybe that will inspire you and give you confidence in the idea. You can read more about it here.

12. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Rick - Pls do PM me the link if you find it. You are right,though, simple images sell a LOT. I heard 1 guy made 10k USD selling a photo of an apple with a white background - Thats it !!!! Imagine !

Thx.. From what I hear and read, it is a VERY lucrative business - that's for sure. When I see images on stock sites,though and the details to perfection, I get quite discouraged. I know those photos are edited and all but they are simply beautiful. I wonder if I can ever match em :( They are just toooo good !

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You should use those images to encourage and inspire you to get better. Everyone has to start somewhere and it is amazing what you can achieve when you work hard at something with persistence and dedication. Just a small improvement every day can lead to a huge outcome in a surprisingly short period of time.

14. azam

azam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

are join flicker? I think you should joined this site its great site for photographer, you will all information about photo/camera http://www.flickr.com
    thanks

15. redhat39

redhat39
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was a good blog post and that guy sure has the nack for making money with digital photos. Making an average of $3.5k per month would be great for anyone interested in photography.

Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten about this. I dig around today and see what I find.

16. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is actually a very good idea. I did thought of this before but never went with it as I am not a photographer. Make yourself a wordpress blog and capture good pictures to upload per post with watermark. Also make a system for people to download by paying to Paypal. Make sure you optimised the blog as good as possible with its related keywords. This is called image SEO.
    I once owned a site which is still and currently ranked number one for an image searched 5M per month at Google and it was getting a pretty decent traffic. keyword - "turtle"
    Imagine if you can rank well for all of your images. :)

update:I sold the site and I've just checked and its still ranked first and when searched at google.com the image comes out as images results for turtle at the most left corner.
    Cheerio

17. carolinebien

carolinebien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello JO, I suggest you that there is a good b2b website you can put your products ad sell them.

Please check:http://www.wtplaza.com

18. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thx will try it.

19. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this is a very risky move, Because there are a lot of sites offering good photos with photoshop effect done by professional photographer and they're giving out for free, But if your really serious about it, do some research, check ebooks, it will give you a lot of tips. We might know it's time for your career growth right? Good luck dude.

20. carolinebien

carolinebien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello JO, good idea,come on!