Can I rank the long tail keywords of my site? If can,how will I do?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by FIBC, Aug 13, 2014.

1. FIBC

FIBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, glad to come back here, my site:www dot bulksacks dot com, is small scale, can I rank the long tail keywords?

If can, how will I do? Now I list some keyworkds and long tail keywords here:

1st way:
    Searched by Google keyword tool:

Main Keyword 1: weed control fabric 3,600(search per month) high(competition)

long tail keywords:
    using weed control fabric
    landscaping cloth weed control
    how to secure weed control fabric
    how to lay weed control fabric
    how to use weed control fabric
    weed control fabric how to use
    soil fabric
    how to use weed fabric
    -------

Main Keyword 2: landscape fabric 6,600(search per month) high(competition)

long tail keywords:
    how to use landscape fabric in garden
    how to use weed cloth
    how to install weed barrier fabric
    what is landscaping fabric
    when to use landscape fabric
    laying landscape fabric
    landscape fabric over grass
    what is landscape fabric
    how to install landscape fabric
    how to use landscape fabric
    easy gardener landscape fabric
    fabric landscapes
    landscape textiles
    what is landscape fabric used for
    landscape fabric under mulch

2nd way:
    Searched by another keyword tool:

Main Keyword: weed control fabric

long tail keyword:
    weed control fabric best
    weed control fabric 2m x 100m
    weed control fabric 8m x 1.5m
    weed control fabric use
    weed control fabric homebase
    weed control fabric weight
    weed control fabric wholesale
    weed control fabric gsm
    weed control fabric b and q
    weed control fabric price
    best landscape fabric for weed control
    weed control fabric cheap

If these longtail keywords are exact, could you please tell me how can I rank them? For example, rank them on the 1st page of google one by one, then the main keyword can rank on the 1st page?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It really wasn't necessary to list the keywords you wish to pursue, as the keywords themselves will not affect the procedures used to rank for them. I did notice that the two lists of keywords you obtained through Google's tool were high competition. Before pursuing all these keywords, you'll want to know how well they convert, in relation to the amount of searches they get. For example, how many people who search the phrases "what is landscape fabric" or "how to use landscape fabric?'" actually wind up buying landscape fabric? Also, are you prepared to do the amount of work it may require to get your site ranked for a high competition keyword?
    As far as how to rank for them, the process is no different than it is for shorter keywords. Make sure you use each phrase in the Title Tag and Description meta tag, as well as the content, for the page you want to rank for that phrase. Then you'll want to participate in discussions, and create a few of your own, on networking sites, be active in social media, write articles and distribute them through reputable sites, create videos, and don't forget to include a few links in these sources.
    One thing to remember is that you do not need to rank for every possible variation of every possible phrase related to your business. Find out which ones convert the best, and go for those. You have the right idea with your last question, but you've got it backwards. Rank for your main keyword first, then the related keywords may come most of the way themselves (With a little help from Google). If you then find that some are getting popular, you can work to bring them the rest of the way.

3. FIBC

FIBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear joeroxx,

Thanks a lot for your careful examinations, got it, and let me get this opportunity to repeat some questions which not very clear in my thread:

1) You said" You have the right idea with your last question, but you've got it backwards. Rank for your main keyword first, then the related keywords may come most of the way themselves (With a little help from Google). ", but why I want to pursue the long tail keywords firstly? Because the competition of the main keywords are very high then rank them to the 1st page is very difficult, by comparison the long tail keywords are simply.

2) You also mentioned "Before pursuing all these keywords, you'll want to know how well they convert,", this is a long-term question which puzzled me, how can I check the covert rate of a keyword? Which tool is most popular to be used for the checking?

4. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually if your website doesn't have any problems with indexing and bot crawling, and you have a good on page optimization strategy, using your target keywords, you will not have any problems ranking for your long tail keywords.

If in terms of backlinks, if your linking strategy was done well and it was distributed finely, ranking your target long tail keywords are not going to be tough.

Joeroxx is right, what's the use of those keywords if it will not give you visits and conversion/ sales. If you are asking for a tool for tracking conversion, if your site is an ecommerce site, then you must have an installed Google Analytics Code in your website, through this you can track every visits and sign up/ sales statistics..

5. Avni Shergill

Avni Shergill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As per your suggestion I did this, I focused on my main keyword and was also working on the keyword phrase which includes my main keyword, but I came up with the result as only my main keyword ranked and other keywords are still ranking very less. What should I do to rank all the keyword phrase, which includes my main keyword. Here I would like to share two keyword phrase

Keywords:-
    Cord Blood Bank
    Cord Blood Banking In India

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

There may be a reason why the long tail keywords are so easy to rank - nobody searches them, so no one bothers to rank for them. Why would you want to rank for phrase no one searches, no matter how easy it is to rank. You'll also want to look for "buying" signals. Is someone looking for "when to use landscape fabric" ready to buy? How much traffic does "weed control fabric 2m X 1000m" actually get, and what percentage actually buys? They mmay not be worth pursuing.

If you rank for the phrase "Cord Blood Bank", Google may decide to rank your page in the top twenty for "Cord Blood Bank in India", but you would then have to actively pursue it to get it to rise the rest of the way. The same is true for any other keyword. What you call the "main" keyword is also called the "root" keyword, and ranking for the root keyword can help rank related keywords, but to get all the desired keywords ranked, you have to do the work yourself. As I told FIBC, you'll have to do some research to find out if they are worth pursuing before actually pursuing them.

7. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many good ideas above, use them and you'll succeed.
    Additionally, you do not have to match 100% the search phrase - just for the competitive keywords / phrases.
    Usually it is enough to include only the fracture (two-three words back to back) of your main key phrases in your body text for good performing long tail. Use them in H1/Hx headers, bold and italic - what your design allows. Place them at the first 20%, somewhere in the mid section and in the last 20% of your text. Do it with caution, don't you overuse the phrases - so maintain keyword density. Sometimes less is more.

8. FIBC

FIBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to all, but the question: which tool can be used for the keywords convert testing? This is important for choosing the keywords.

9. marrick

marrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joeroxx made a good point. In addition, you might want to check the behavior of the search. There are keywords that can be ranked easily but delivers nothing valuable to your site. Check the behavior of the search if they are buying keywords, informative, etc. I suggest you list your keywords according to the behavior and it will give you a good road map on how you will optimize the keywords based on the behavior and needs of the searcher.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I know you originally asked me rhe question, but it was boysingh who answered your question - Google Analytics. You would have to have a Google account to use it, but Gmail counts, sio if you have a Gmail account you should be able to install Google Analytics on your website. more info can be found in an article from Search Engine Journal. Some of the tools we use are tools our techs designed, so I can't give you those, but if you search "keyword conversion tools" you might be able to find others, and you can ask here if anyone has used them.

11. samuel0785

samuel0785
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you can rank on these long tail keywords. However, I suggest you to write some interesting article or blog post using above keywords. It will help you in increasing search engine ranking as well as traffic.