Can I negiotiate salary after a verbal job offer acceptance

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by amp1314, Sep 17, 2010.

1. amp1314

amp1314
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I verbally accepted a job offer 2 days ago and I now realize I am a complete fool for not negiotiating the salary, which I am certain they expected from me. I was very excited to get the offer after interviewing there before and not getting a job and then a year later out of the blue getting a second chance to interview for different position. So, I got cuaght up in the excitment and blurted out "yes!", when she asked if I accepted, although I did say I want to see and go over the benefits.

**edit** I would only be asking for about 3K more a year.

So my question is, should I just be happy I got my foot in the door and let it go or do I still have the right (or nerve) to negioatiate once I see the whole "soup to nuts" that they are offering me?

If I don't have the room to negiotiate salary am I still able to negiotiate other terms such as vacation? or a 6 month revisitaton of salary terms?

Thanks for your advice and help, it's apreciated!

#1 amp1314, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although wearing sexy lingerie MAY persuade your boss to give you a raise, my thinking is this. You accepted the terms and although you could ask for more, your manager is just as entitled to reconsider their offer to hire you. I would wait 6 months or a year then ask for a raise. Of course any terms that were not agreed upon are still up for negotiation.
    If you do decide to wear sexy lingerie, I would recommend wearing something to cover it up. And don't even think of sending any to your future boss, that's just a big no no! :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry Mountain Man, I've deleted the spam lingerie post above yours, so your jokes might be lost on some readers :)

5. Bill Ryan

Bill Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that asking for a higher salary just after saying yes to the salary offered might put you in a bad light as a future employer and possibly worse than that.

In my view it would have the tendency to make you look unprofessional from the start. It might even cause the employer to think again about employing you.

Leave it at least six months, build up a relationship withe the employer and think about asking for it then. I would agree that a year is probably a better length of time before doing it though.

#5 Bill Ryan, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. passionate_rohan

passionate_rohan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not recommended.
    It may prove to be against you once they don't accept your demand and you still join them.
    It will leave a negative impression.

7. davidmoore

davidmoore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is not proper to negotiate the salary now since you have already accepted the job, you have already passed up on that chance. The best thing is to work hard and upon your regularization you could open up on that about your increase and other benefits.

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's not the proper way, company dont like such employee who accept the salary and then wanna get more.
    I believed that you are very interested on this job or you wouldnt easily agree the offer without thinking in deep. If this is the case, i will suggest you do your best on your work, show them your ability before ask for extra. If you think you really preform good, then you can ask for more in future