Can I implement rel="noindex" at link level?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jennifer Martin, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Friends,

I am having one HTML version and one print version of some content. I don't want to get penalized because of duplicate content as same content is accessible in two different version. So I don't want to tell Google to crawl and index PDF version.

I am linking PDF version of content from HTML version, and I want to tell search engine not to index the link in href tag by using rel=noindex example <a href rel="noindex">.

I have used meta tag in PDF for noindex, just want to ask do I need to add Noindex at the link level as well? Will it help to stop getting PDF file ranking in SERP?

I want to rank the HTML version to rank in SERP and not to show PDF in SERP.

Experts please share your opinion.

2. Host Capitol

Host Capitol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can simply use the nofollow tag. (<a href="#" rel="nofollow">)
    Also, you can add this to your robots.txt file:
    Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: *.pdf

3. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Do not no-follow the links. Google will not penalise you for having a web version and pdf version. Having both may well improve your ranking.

However, if you don't want Google to index and rank the pdf versions make sure all links to documents are no follow. Noindex isn't something Google takes much notice of. If a link exist, Google will follow it to see where it leads.

4. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why do I need to give Nofollow Tag to all the links in document if I am using Noindex for the PDF version of content.

5. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Because google will index the links to the PDF unless they no-follow. But as I said, I wouldn't stop google indexing the documents, you won't be penalised.