Can Google Adsense really make you money?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RestOwner, May 5, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've heard and read about Google Adsense, and that people are making a lot of money out if it. What's the truth behind this? Any advice, tips? :dunno:

2. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google AdSense

People use Google to good effect and we are having a fantastic increase in sales (400% over target last month) using it, but using it wisely.

We have an excellent advisor who is honest, cheap (don't tell him I said that!), experienced and knows the system well.

You also need to use other ways of promoting yourself though too. Google on its own works, but it works better with other mechanics too.

VM

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can make money from it if your site receives a lot of high quality traffic. If you don't get a decent amount of traffic you won't make money from Adsense. A lot also depends on the niche of your site. For example, you will earn a lot more for a click on an ad in a medical site than you will for a click on an ad on a celebrity gossip site.

4. rosszero

rosszero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Adsense can be profitable, but you have to be using it on a site that's genre is likely to make clicks and money. The most obvious ones are finance and property based sites, though obviously they're very competitive because of how profitable they can be per click.

Also, don't expect to start making any significant amounts of money for at least a year or two, once you've built up an online presence of content. The content not only needs to be the right type to attract clicks that pay, but also genuinely informational so visitors actually want to read and share your articles.

Also, expect to have to get thousands of visitors a month to make money that's more like pounds rather than pence!

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting points of information guys, thanks.

Now I wonder, what's best to start with, a blog or a website?

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

RestOwner... what do you think? We have not heard any of your own opinions yet.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, a website and blog is just the same so any will do.
    All you need to have is a decent amount of traffic. To get that traffic, you need to have good quality content, promoting your site and many more.

8. Pat Foster

Pat Foster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Experience of Google Adsense

I've used Google Adsense on my site www.looklovely.net for over 2 years now. I also publish on HubPages. Although my Hubscore is high (and sometimes very high) my usual earnings on HubPages are usually less thatn £1 per week, and sometimes only pennies.
    Earnings on the website are better, but I certainly couldn't use them to pay any bills!
    Some days the ads seem quite irrelevant to my site content - like this morning I had masses of ads for mobile phones on my page about skin care!
    The ads must be absolutely relevant to invite viewers to click on them.
    The 'value' of ads is so unpredictable that I think of them as being like lottery scratch cards.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you have a high quality site that becomes really busy, advertisers will begin to target your site and specify that they want their Google Adwords ads to appear on your site. Once this happens, your cost per click can increase substantially and you can see a significant increase in your revenue.

10. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is possible to make decent money from Adsense, but it's always best to diversify your monetization plans.

Everyone above has answered what it takes to make decent money, and traffic is definitely key. But there is also testing involved. Once you get traffic to a page, one should test with different ad placement locations, colors, etc. It's a tedious process, but it's worth it if your page is getting traffic, but you're not seeing a lot of revenue.

In my experience, it can make a world of difference even in a niche with low paying clicks. So don't be defeated just because of the click value. Testing can be very effective.

11. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, after searching for some more info about this. TIME, PATIENCE, and great CONTENT are key factors.

I found this article interesting when searching the other day:
    http://tinyurl.com/2v586ry

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read in some forums that people are thinking that Page Rank and Adsense have a connection with each other.
    I told them that Adsense is related to traffic and keywords.
    I'm right, right?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, in most cases you get paid per click on ads shown on your site. In some instances you get paid per ad view (CPM). You don't get paid just because you have high PR.

14. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

and add to that, keep your site updated.

15. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Adsense

It's simply a case of having a product or service that people want, at a sensible cost.

Otherwise it doesn't matter how many visitors you have, you won't get business..

VM

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agreed that many people are making money from adsense but not many people are making "alot of money" from adsense. It is easy to earn money from adsense but to earn good money, you need to do a lot of things including keyword study, quality content creation, ads optimization, analytics, SEO, SMO, marketing etc

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Besides, the minimum amount to be able to get your earnings is $100 which is really hard to attain.
    Luckily, I'm already over $70 :p

18. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The definition of "a lot of money" is different. Monthly hundreds or thousands is achievable as long as you working hard on it. The " a lot money" means people who are earning more than 10k per month

19. factoring

factoring
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone can make a lot of money from adsense. It is a steep learning curve to earn a decent income, and you can't be lazy. Like any other business or job, you have to approach it seriously.

20. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can take years to be succesfull in this I think...