Cameron wants to crack down on social media ?!?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by JPM, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read it here http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/world/europe/12iht-social12.html

Surely it can't be that simple?

• Like Like x 1
  2. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Simple and effective I think, good idea it could help.

3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be simple but not effective, but how can you ban someone from using twitter?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm a big fan of social media, but unfortunately it can be used for negative as well as positive means. Those who abuse the privilege of using social media or who use it to facilitate crime should be banned from it, in my opinion.

However, there is a big problem with that, who can you trust to decide who should not be allowed to use social media. If you give the government that kind of power they will misuse it in some instances and we could see it being used to prevent anti-government bloggers from airing their views. Basically I like the idea in theory but I don't trust our governments enough to give them the power to decide who can or cannot use social media.

5. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would take the collective processing power of the universe to control the activity on social media sites.
    It just shows how out of touch our politicians really are.
    Basically, they are away with the fairies. :D

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was my point, how can they honestly expect to keep any individual off a social media site?

7. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instead of banning it, like we do with so many things. Why don't we use it to our advantage. The government can track more criminals if they are using the social media sites. Create fake accounts, spy on the criminals, the chances are they won't know and you can catch them in the act.

I hate the way we immediatly think banning something is the best idea.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The proposal is to ban certain individuals from using social media. The fact that they won't be able to stop everyone who is banned, isn't a reason not to introduce the law. In a similar vain, the fact that the government can't prevent all theft, is not a reason not to have a law against theft. If individuals who have been shown to use social media for criminal activities are banned from using it, they will be less likely to use it and if they do run the risk of using social media they will have to be more covert with their activities.

By way of another example, if someone is found guilty of animal cruelty they may be banned from owning a pet again. Obviously some people that are banned in this way will keep pets and hide those pets from the authorities. But that doesn't mean that it is a bad law.

Saying all that, I do agree with you that politicians are out of touch.

I'd be surprised if they don't already do this. The hacktivist group Anonymous revealed that the US Government contracted the federal security firm HB Gary to develop software that would create fake accounts on social networking sites. The objective was that these profiles would endeavour to sway people to the government's way of thinking, in other words to influence the opinions of people who disagreed with government policy. Frightening stuff, in my opinion.

From Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess my point Fergal is that the law would be practically un-inforceable, therefore a waste of public money writing into law.
    Its the same kind of thinking that suggests rioters should lose their benefits and social housing.
    All this kind of thinking does is improverishes the already impoverished and drives people further to crime and depravity.

Its basically the same kind of dumb thinking that perpetuates social poverty and relative inequality.

If we were to start banning criminals from going on social media sites we would also have to ban crooked bankers/newspaper editors/hands in the till politicians/primeministers sending us to war on a false premise/Rupert Murdoch/Corrupt Police Chiefs and all the other crooked twits at the top from using telephones/email/private jets and the like.

Stephen

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd love to see that happen.

That's a great point and I've heard of research that shows that being tough in crime is not the most effective approach and that in fact counselling, education and other positive interventions are in fact much more effective.

11. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree on your points Fergal.

What those in power fail to do time and time again is be imaginative and use higher intelligence to solve societal problems.

Instead they keep on banging the same drum of blame and dumbness decade after decade.

I'm not surprised that there are so many conspiracy theories going around.
    People just cannot believe how dumb our leaders are.
    It really does defy belief how they conduct themselves.

Regards
    Stephen

12. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My take on this is that if these punks can afford Blackberries and have the smarts on how to use them, they should put their time and energies into activities that are more constructive like getting a job rather than rioting.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sometimes I think it is those of us who vote them in and tolerate their dishonesty and incompetence who are the really dumb ones.

14. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Clint, Agreed. I'd like to see these young people being constructive, but we live is a society that is in moral decline and becoming extremely unfocused, largely because of the rampant media and the effects of technology.

When the captain and officers of the ship start to lose focus and fall into moral decline, it is no surprise that the people that follow them do as well.

There are few positive role models in British society today.
    Celebrity drug takers, greedy bankers, corrupt police and politicians, overpaid football stars, filth pushing media

Most of our leaders in the UK are now perceived as corrupt or incompetent.

The people will always follow.
    It is up to our leaders to lead effectively.
    They are not doing so right now.

Regards
    Stephen

Fergal, Very people vote and the system is loaded toward success of the incompetent.
    There are no current good options. That is the tragedy of it all.

15. etrade123

etrade123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry I have no more idea but i have listen that "Cameron wants to crack down on social media". I think this is not good for British government.