California business structure (LLC,LLP,INC,etc)

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by mb999, Jan 14, 2011.

1. mb999

mb999
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking into opening up my own medical supply and i was curious if anyone can give me some advice on how to proceed with the business structure in california? i know theres; sole,general and limited partnerships, llc, llp, and corporation. for a medical supply whats the best structure? i will be a medicare provider selling durable medical equipment

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum mb999. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic and unfortunately I'm not familiar with the business registration structures in California. As you will know the medical industry can be very litigious and hence there is always the risk of being sued. From that perspective you probably want a business structure that provides you with limited liability and minimises the potential personal financial risks that you could be exposed to.

When setting up a business it is worth making the effort to meet with a professional adviser - an accountant or lawyer. Their advice will help clarify the best structure for your own specific circumstances and getting this right from the start can save you a lot of trouble and stress at a later date. Many professional advisers will offer a first consultation free of charge and this may be enough to get the information you need. As an additional bonus you will have made a good contact who could be very helpful to your business in the future.

Good luck with it.