Buying Photographs and Photographic Art Online

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Diane Lane, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you buy photographs or photographic art online?

If not, why not?

If so, do you prefer actual prints that are shipped to you, or do you prefer digital format? What sizes would you be most likely to purchase?

2. Khalid

Khalid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Diane,

Never saw the need to buy photos online, at least not for personal use. The only time I might consider it is for stock photos for my websites.

I am curious to see what others response with though. My father in law loves photography and has hundreds of photographs, primarily of Canadian wildlife but doesn't know how to monetize them so they just sit on his computer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a friend who posts his photos for sale. Mostly panoramic shots of nature and animals, he said that there are buyers from other countries. In fact, he gets some sales once in a while although it's no big deal. But maybe, he is hoping, that the day will come when photos will be a commodity in online shopping. Till then.

4. llfsa

llfsa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, because I am a photographer myself. But most of my clients prefer that my work is handed to them in both physical and digital format.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Khalid

Khalid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Corzhens, what is your friend's website?

6. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that seems to be the norm these days. For an event for a wedding for example, people want the professional pictures and the traditional album, but they'll also require their own copies of the photographs to do with what they want.

Obviously digital copies are easier for everybody, as I think most people these days will have a way to view these photos online or via a PC or tablet device.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Obviously, if someone is having an event, they want to hire a photographer to take pictures at the event. I believe what Diane is referring to is purchasing photographs for personal or various business purposes, for example, buying stock photos for a print publication or website, or to hang on a wall as decoration.
    I have not done so. When I created my website, I took the photos for it myself, and used a photo of me that was taken by a relative..

8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of my online businesses operates within the mobile app space. I'm pretty skilled with graphic design and I've build up my own logos and brand image. Fortunately these have been well received by my small but growing audience. Photos serve no purpose in the products and the crowd I'm attracting, they care only of how good my apps look. Perhaps, if I was involved in another type of business I would consider purchasing stock photographs.

9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are talking about buying photographs or photographic art online for personal (non-business) use, then I have not bought online. Any photos or photographic art I have purchased for display in my home or office has been in person. I have had my own photos converted into prints or books online, but not the ones I have bought.

Professional interior designers who are looking for a particular piece to fill out the decor of an office or home might well choose to buy online where they can see a lot more variety. I imagine that even some people do that, particularly prints from famous photographers such as Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz. I think it would be hard for most unknown photographers to sell many prints online.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where does he post his photos? I know some use redgage, others gurushots. I know Zazzle and CafePress have photographic art for sale, also, mainly for using the images in/on products, such as pillows, mugs, etc.

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand that for things such as wedding photographs, or photos of their children, but I'm more referring to wall art type photography.

12. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never, I don't need any photographs or art. If i need something, i can easily manage online by free sites. Normally i download images or photos for my websites on Google images or some other HD photo sites.:)

13. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I still have to ask my friend because I am also an amateur photographer and I don't want him to know that I am into photography. My camera is a point and shoot, quite embarrassing. But anyway, I would ask him when we meet so I can post it here. I think he got a good price for that photo because he treated some friends to a bar.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am quite conservative in that I am cautious about buying things online. Especially with photos, where the quality of print is so important, I prefer to print them at photo shops that I trust.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have purchased numerous images from Istock photo in the past. I stopped buying from them once they were acquired by Getty.

I always purchased in digital format and usually the smallest size image available. The main reason I did that was because I was using the images on websites and didn't need a larger higher resolution image for that.

All of the other artwork/photos that I own have been purchased in person at a physical location where I was browsing through a bunch of photos (like at an art show, craft show or in the gift shop of some historical site). I can't recall ever buying posters, wall art or anything of that sort online. It's not that I am against doing so. It is simply due to the fact that I never get the itch to go shopping for wall art online. They are always impulse purchases made at a place where I am browsing through various collections and something catches my eye.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you buy digital images online, the specs should be stated, and you then own that image, usually for personal use, and can have it printed wherever you choose.