Buying and Selling Websites

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by webchalkboard, May 22, 2009.

1. webchalkboard

webchalkboard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Does anyone in here have any experience buying or selling websites they'd like to share?

The reason I ask is that I run a website marketplace for buying and selling sites, (see my signature). It's always very useful to hear from people who have experience in the field, to try and work out how to make the site more useful. There are so many spammy looking sites out there for buying websites, has anyone actually managed to successfully buy or sell a site online? In your opininon is it worth buying a second hand website, or do you just inherit more problems than it's worth?

Interested to know your thoughts,

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I love looking at websites for sale in webmaster forums - I probably look at over 100 websites for sale every month.

Although I have a great interest in looking at sites for sale, auction sites never appealed to me. I rarely look at sites for sale on eBay or other auction sites. It's probably the interactivity of forums, the ability to ask questions and view other members' questions that attracts me.

Have you considered adding a community element to your site?

The design of your site is very professional, attractive and user-friendly.

What have you been doing to promote the site, it needs more activity to make it interesting for visitors. I looked at your site a couple of days ago, and the same sites for sale appear to be at the top of your home page tonight as two days ago. This is not a good thing, visitors like fresh content.

Have you considered promoting an offer on your homepage advising visitors that they can use your service free of charge to sell their site? This should help you build some activity and visitor traffic?

By the way, feel free to promote your site for free in our Member Ads forum.

3. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I did try buying the 'ransom a website' ebook but since I've never dabbled in this business before, I was kinda scared to get into it. However, reading the book gave me a fair idea of how it works and since you are in the business, buying this book might help you.

4. ZakShow

ZakShow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I buy and sell websites all the time, it's a part of my online business. But I have never used a website marketplace directly, I like to browse webmaster forums and look for interesting offers, ask questions and see whos interested on that offer too :D

Like Fergal said, you may consider to add a community to your site, it's the interactivity element that makes a service successful.

I hope that can help :)

5. jackflaming

jackflaming
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am doing research in the business field for a long time. I am also dealing with selling and buying business. Website selling is an online process. Since it is an online business so it is better that you try to buy your website online. You can search online for website purchaser. And when you find a suitable purchaser for your website, you can take help of a broker for dealing with him/her.

#5 jackflaming, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Buying second hand website will be call the more problems and disputes as well. There are many webmasters who dont give complete information about the website so its very much risky.

7. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Main things about selling the sites is why some one selling
    For old website
    1. it is not profit able
    2. it is time taking to manage
    3. it gone to google sandbox

website is new
    Seller is developer or a business man
    Some free script is installed

For buyers it is better to get site from developers but be sure that none of coding file is encrypted or have code which deletes your coding files or database.

But if website is old with just having issue that seller donot have sufficient time to manage then it is too better to get that domain, although you can change it layout later on as it is easy to be up in search engines rather than a new site

8. Austintes

Austintes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

buying and selling websites is one of the growing business in this modern world. mostly people used websites for purchasing and selling her items. they can get handsome money against his product even they are at home. in every day million of websites are build and designed and selling and buying them. any one can get the owner ship of any websites by paying the some amount the owner of the websites.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there anything that you can suggest the thread starter? Or anyone who is interested in buying and selling sites?

10. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've sold a website on Flippa.com before. Worked as advertised.

I'm not sure it's away to start a successful business but I may be wrong.

11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've bought a few websites on forums and a couple on Flippa (which was originally the marketplace on a forum before it was spun off on its own). I don't see a lot of difference. Both formats allow you to ask questions and get answers. Flippa has been adding features which do help on the due diligence.

As far as buying an existing site versus starting a new one, I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. In many cases on both forums and auctions, the sites are new with little or no traffic or revenue. The content is often poorly organized and badly written. Many times, the content isn't even unique to the site, either rewritten PLR articles or content that has been lifted from another site.

There are exceptions, of course, but they are usually found by more traditional methods. I have represented clients who have bought or sold web-based businesses for hundreds of thousand (and in a few cases, millions) of dollars. In those cases, the buyer is getting a real business, with revenues and employees. Those are very different than what we are talking about here.

12. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think instead of selling websites, if you are a good graphics designer then create themes for various categories and sell them. If you are well versed with one of the CMSs then it is great business to sell Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal themes.