Buying and selling domains

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Matt, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am aware that some people buy domains and then sell them for a higher price. For those of you that do this or have tried doing this, were you successful? I was just asking because when I see this, it normally sells for a lot cheaper than the normal price :O

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I bought quite a few domain names in the past, with the intention of developing them. I've recently been selling some of them so that I can focus on my main sites without the distraction and expense of undeveloped domains. My experience is that domains are not selling well at the moment and prices are not as high as they were say three years ago. Perhaps other members have had more profitable experiences than me.

3. angel888

angel888
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a seller of domain, I may consider that i am successful because I am able to make earnings. ^_^ Buying the domains and selling them at a higher price is good for me because it helps on increasing profits. Selling domains at a higher price also needs strategies on marketing them! ^_^

4. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a long term method is most cases. I own two domains I currently have for sale and even though one is very valuable (matingsite.com) until someone wants that name for a dating site it is worth very little

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

6. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know a person who became very very rich through this business)
    so you can try it but you need a some kind of script I think to find domains you want to buy)

7. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, I didn't mean to advertise, I just thought the name was clever. Thanks though

8. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MarketSamurai is free for the basic version. You type in the keywords you want and it finds the best option. I've used it numerous times.

9. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Fergal meant that you could post a thread in that section. You may be able to find someone that is interested in it ;)

10. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I have not sell any domains yet but to experience buying at low price and selling at high price, I have bought two domains recently. Lets see how will be my experience.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Apologies for the misunderstanding CloptonCapital, I wasn't suggesting that you did anything wrong. Like Matt said I was just letting you know that you would be welcome to promote your domains in that section of the forum.

12. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have had success in domain flipping. I find that people are more interested in a domain with a website than the domain itself, even if the website is as new as the domain or only a few days/weeks old. Domains by itself need to be compelling and there is clear intention as to what path the domain could take, and the level of success.

However, domain flipping is purely on the buyer. Even if you glorify the domain, it doesn't mean people will necessarily buy it, so it is like a lottery in terms of the right people seeing your sale.