Buying a Business Anonymously..

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sw8, Sep 5, 2012.

1. sw8

sw8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it possible to hire someone to buy a business, on your behalf, so that you can remain anonymous? What would the job title of such a person be?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some individual Accountants and Accountancy firms will provide that service on your behalf. Another option would be to look for a business broker. What state or country would you be doing this in?

3. NormanAvila

NormanAvila
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it's possible but make sure that the contracts you sign can in no way be interpreted against you and that you will always have full access and full rights to manage everything within your new business, even if the person you hired to buy the business wouldn't agree. Just because some people would really dress nicely, smile nicely until you give them your money and then rob you legally (of course without them breaking any laws)

4. PlastoCards

PlastoCards
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is possible but also having risk enough because the person whom you asking to buy a business would be trusted or else he may fraud you.

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sw8 - I'm dying to know why you would want to remain anonymous - feel free to tell me to mind my own business... LOL M.

6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Although it is the exception, not the rule, it is not at all unusual for people to own businesses anonymously. Sometimes it is because the business is unsavory, like a gentlemen's club; sometimes it is for a business reason; sometimes it is just to keep one's business interests out of the public eye.

I have a couple of clients who have separate companies that sell products to competitors of their main company. They figure that their customer would not want to buy products directly from a competitor even if it was their best alternative because they would feel that they were helping out the competitor.

Buying a business without disclosing the actual ownership is also done, but it is a little harder than just owning the business anonymously. Usually there are dealings between the parties in a purchase transaction that work more smoothly if there is direct contact. Although an attorney, accountant or some other agent for the seller can represent the seller anonymously, it often puts an additional level of stress on the deal. There is often enough stress in reaching a deal that the additional stress of maintaining the anonymity of the buyer may be enough to sidetrack the deal completely.

7. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe they are called business brokers? However those are risky.

8. Jack Simmons

Jack Simmons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is possible but and for me the most appropriate job title for that person is representative...