Business With Partners or Alone?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jashandeep, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Jashandeep

Jashandeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all !

I am working with a software development company from past 2 years.Now I am planning to start my own business in educational area.I have no so much funds to start that business.But there are my 3 friends who want to do work with me.Can any one give me an idea .What should I do.I have 2 options.

1. Shall I wait until I have no fund.
    2. Go for partnership.

Please give your views.
    thanks

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1 - If all your 3 friends are all very trustworthy and also interested with experiences in this area.. why not? Go for a partnership and work together as a team to get your business name out.

2 - You said you do not have so much funds to start that business meaning that you totally does not have funds to start the business ? Or you mean by you have the funds but not enough to get the business started?
    If you have enough funds and can handle every thing yourself from the start, you might not need any partners for now. If you can't handle by yourself and do not have the funds go for a partnership.

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good idea might be to choose 1 out of 3 friends who the most likely to help you succeed or the compliments you the most. Start out working with that friend and developing that partnership. If it goes well then you can bring other friends/partners on in the future. There is the old saying "two heads are better then one" for a reason. Plus you get to split the risk/cost at least is something goes south. Just make sure you put everything in writing/contracts.

4. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Partnership is always been a risk according to my personal experience. So, I want to say that if you have enough resources then you should focus to do business alone. You may get rid of many tensions by doing so.

5. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your friends are trustworthy you should go for partnership if not then wait until you manage the funds.

6. Nick Porters

Nick Porters
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that Taking on a partner can, to a certain extent negate the affects of this by providing someone to discuss and develop ideas with.

7. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Go for partnership, to become a success business man, he must be able to work with others. Failure in partnership = failure to grow a business.

8. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Word ''Partnership'' is often consider notorious because there is a lot of risk involved in partnership. Partnership mostly creates contentions like Assets, liability distribution, profit distribution, expenses ratio distribution. And even also in management process.
    Although partnership has its benefits also that it is easy for 2 or more partners to oversee the functions of business more easily but the above mention risks may b more harmful than the benifits.
    so, I think start business as a sole proprietor, if you don't have a huge amount then startup with small scale business and then gradually upgrade your businesswith the passage of time.
    Do remember that (high Risk<==>High return) and (High investment <==> High risk).

9. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are two things. If you have the product or any developed software along with marketing expertise then you have to start alone by firstly making a sale so that your expenses comes from there. As for as partnership is concerned, it depends on your relationship.

10. Raj shah

Raj shah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can go with d partnership options with yr friends, and make sure u friends have legal partnership formalities done between d concerned friends before starting the new venture.....technoguru

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both of them have it own advantage and disadvantage. Partnership can build more fund and more people to work together which is better than alone. However, when go to decision or money, there might have some argument happen in partnership.
    You gotta judge it by yourself on this kind of decision - alone or partnership

12. StarBC

StarBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

May be you should try a Limited Partnership where you are a general partner who has all regular general partner's
    responsibilities and manages the company and your friends are limited partners who don't participate in your company's operations and enjoy their liability from the company's debt to the extent of their investments and receive their "returns of investments" as a compensation (similar to dividents)

13. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should consider two different areas when it comes to Partnerships or going it alone.

1. Do you have all the necessary skills alone to build a business. The best partnerships should bring complimentary skills to the table which should increase your business success rate.
    2. Defining the partnership. Whether you have known your potential partners for years or not, your partnership agreement should be structured clearly to define roles and compensation so that you minimise your chance of conflict in the future.

14. sabinasmith

sabinasmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to do your own business then it will be better than partnership.

15. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your friends have good ability and trustful,It is good to have partners in fact.Then you have a good and strong company to set up .But you also need sign contract to explain what jobs each of you do,it is more clear and no argument.

16. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are both good, But as much as possible for me I will do my business alone. If I have a partner I think we will have a problem in decision making.

17. AshleyWhiteBusin

AshleyWhiteBusin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can let them in your business just be sure that you prepare a contract that has been signed by both parties (for terms and conditions). Also, you might want to have an insurance for your own share.

18. jhonlarson

jhonlarson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

before if a person is going to start a company with partners so its important to sign a contract in between the partners, in contract you can also enable that when a partner leave the business at that time how much money he will get.

19. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should probably start looking for partners that are interested with your company and probably share the same goals if possible. If you both ended up on having the same goal and targets for the company, you may now start creating a professional relationship with your partners, starting to convert your company into a larger business entity.

20. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me you should wait until you have enough funds to start a business. I personally don’t believe on partners and partnership in business. Partnership has a lot risks in spite of profits.