Business & Religion

Discussion in 'Business Advice, Questions & Discussion' started by adwaitk007, Jul 20, 2009.

1. adwaitk007

adwaitk007 Member

Money:
    $0
    my another question

is there any relationship in business and religion???

is it depends upon your religion??

2. Fergal

Fergal Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $38
    Interesting question. I would say that for many people their religion does indeed have an important impact on their business. There are some religions (e.g. Protestantism) that appear to encourage business success and other religions that don't look positively on wealth and business success (e.g. Catholicism). Catholic countries in Europe have traditionally been poorer than Protestant countries.

Jewish people also have a good reputation for success in business.

There are other members here, who are much more qualified than me to give an informed opinion on other religions' such as Islam's views on business. Hopefully they will enlighten us.

3. scifi

scifi Member

Money:
    $0
    yeah, interestingly there do exists relationship between business & religion, religion has now a days have developed into the very business itself....no recession in the world can affect it..!!!:D

4. Fergal

Fergal Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $38
    Good point Scifi, religion is big business. Some newer religions, e.g. Scientology in my opinion, are very much focused on earning money from their followers. Other religions have a very strong commercial side. The Roman Catholic Church has been described as the biggest owner of property in the world.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen Member

Money:
    $0
    For us Muslims, there's a very big impact of religion in business. Unlike what others might believe, our religion do encourage us to be successful and/or be wealthy but it's a must that we share and distribute some of our wealth by giving to charity.

Another area where our religion affects business is that there are some things that are not allowed (considered as sin) in our religion. Like for example, drugs or alcohol. Drinking alcohol is not allowed for us Muslims so owning a liquor store or a bar is out of the question.

6. adwaitk007

adwaitk007 Member

Money:
    $0
    m from india!

and as u all know that india is a country having more than 40 different religions!!

but as a businessman one should not consider the religion of his buyer or he should not consider any one's religion while trading with him!!
    i think
    it's totally wrong to depend on religion in business!

bcoz in business one should consider the quality of that person not the religion!!

7. Nazreen

Nazreen Member

Money:
    $0
    I totally agree with you that in business in general, you shouldn't take religion into consideration when dealing with your customers. That would be totally being biased Adwaitk007. But would you do some business that is considered as a sin in your religion. Let's say that hypothetically you're a Hindu and that your religion considers cows as holy animals, would you go into the meat business dealing in slaughtering and selling of cow's meat?

8. adwaitk007

adwaitk007 Member

Money:
    $0
    yes. u r right . m hindu. i never cross my boundaries and my limits of my religion while making business!!

it's totally not comes under the quality of business in mine.

here ,in such type ,one should consider his religion in business!

nice point Nazreen!

9. scifi

scifi Member

Money:
    $0
    To quote an example from India...religion do not affect business at all as most of the craftsman of sarees (the traditional Indian dress) and the one who are indulge into fireworks used during Diwali( major hindu festival) are muslims.....India is totally a democratic country with place to all (otherwise there are some loop points but exceptions exist everywhere)..:)

10. SallyM

SallyM New Member

Money:
    $0
    there are something that should NEVER mix with business and that is one of them.

11. Bubblegum Heaven

Bubblegum Heaven New Member

Money:
    $0
    I found religion does play a role

Not in trying to to convert customers and other business people into the religion, but by showing yourself to be a good example to them. Being honest and trustworthy. Having the fact that you are around being known to be a good thing to the people you serve. Being an asset and a positive influence to the community.

How better to be a good (whatever your religion happens to be) than to have your customers know about you, like you being there, and knowing things wouldn't be nearly as good for them if you weren't?

12. Nazreen

Nazreen Member

Money:
    $0
    This is a nice way of putting it. Most religions teach us about virtues and it's good to use and implement these not just in our personal lives but also in our businesses. One particular virtue that would really be very good for business is honesty. I also believe that we should all be honest in all our business dealings.

13. Bubblegum Heaven

Bubblegum Heaven New Member

Money:
    $0
    For sure. Many businesses don't make it very far without being honest, and the rest don't deserve to.

14. simplyjo

simplyjo Member

Money:
    $0
    I would say - NO.

There is no relation between business and religion. Atleast, honestly, I would hope not.

I've seen discrimination but ideally, it should not be so.

15. Nazreen

Nazreen Member

Money:
    $0
    Simplyjo, if you don't mind my asking, what's your religion? As for me, religion has great influence in our everyday lives but I'm not discriminating anyone when I say this though. Each of us has his/her own beliefs and I respect that.

16. DEADMAN

DEADMAN Member

Money:
    $0
    Yes, there is connection between them.

According to your Religion also, your business types may have affection. Most of the Hindu religion do farming occupation, and some trading business that is quite linked in farming trade too. And Christain are far on trading and building/inventon that means technology.

I believe the sub catergory of Religion affects alot. Let me give you example of my country, Nepal.
    Subcategory like Brahmins works as farmer. Newars like me are to business man. Rai/Limbu are selling their own products like jhimbu, tea, home made cups and utensils.

17. SallyM

SallyM New Member

Money:
    $0
    Interesting read DEADMAN - its shows the difference in business types between our two countries.

18. DEADMAN

DEADMAN Member

Money:
    $0
    Glad you find it interesting. Can you also elaborate and let me know the difference? Can you also tell where are you from?

19. mualtuk

mualtuk New Member

Money:
    $0
    I agree with you, Nazreen.... religious groups are showing rational economic responses to changes in the political, ecological and economic environments in which they operate

20. CloptonCapital

Money:
    $0
    Many of the wealthiest people in the world are atheists, and I don't thats a coincidence, nor is it a bad thing