Business Partners

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by laithp, Aug 28, 2014.

1. laithp

laithp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I probably know the answer to this question, or maybe I just need to talk it out, either way, I need some new ideas.

I have a small IT consulting business, and in the last 2 years, another company with two owners started working with me in an effort to eventually merge the two companies. the other company is 3 times bigger than mine, and if we combine our businesses we will be able to get some nice deals, and grow the company, so we think.

In the past 2 years I've observed that:
    1- the other 2 are more blue collar mentality than white collar.. let me explain, they just want to DO THE WORK, planning and organization is not important
    2- immature behavior such as Jabs, jokes that never retire, taking everything personally.
    3- Rude behavior and at times, elitist attitude, as if they are the ones that invented the CPU
    4- They do help, but ONLY when they are ready.
    5- these guys have been generous with their resources.
    6- they still stick with each other, and although they say they want my ideas, only what they want happens.
    7- since I started working with them, my company has more than doubled, but not because of their actions, mostly because of the extra confidence I have.

Where I am having trouble is in dealing with personality, and the difference in thinking. They will just leave when they want to, no checking in, no courtesy, just poof. will take them weeks at time to get one thing for my clients.

I must say, that they are providing me all these services for free, and we are working towards merging, but it is taking them a LOOONG time to finish the papers, in the mean time, I am making more money, but I am afraid of getting into this partnership.

Any comments will help, thank you in advance.

2. sjzllc00

sjzllc00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How old are they?
    From your words,i can know your answer to this question.
    You want to stop this kind of cooperation.
    If you do not trust them, i also do not think you will have good future.
    Trust is the first. If not trust, you will separate sooner or late.
    Second, need is the second. whether do you need they join in your company.
    I can guess you are a perfect manager, why do not you employ others who you want to instead of them, not merge the company.
    You also can make your company strongly.
    That is my opinion...

3. laithp

laithp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you SJZ ...

I agree with you, I think I do not WANT to work with them, but I am doing it for two other reasons:

1- I feel like I NEED to learn how to work with people. I believe having people to work with at my level will give the opportunity to learn, and get more input. The process of making decision will be harder but will be more accurate.
    2- I believe that working with others that have complimentary skills can boost the business.. in Business 1 +1 =11 (So I believe) and so far, I have benefitted from that.

on the other hand, I really like what you said, although they are close to my age, I am 46, my partners are 42 and 34, the relationship is what comes first. In time I find it hard to communicate with them because of the way they think, and express ideas, seem childish, immature at time, they talk different, play different, and think of their ego first, before the business, in most times.

I know that no one can give me that Golden answer, but what you gave me helped me think in a different way about the situation.

I still have lots of thinking to do..

Thank you very much ...

4. MikePeterson

MikePeterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should not get in partnership with them. First their company is too large than yours and also they are immature and manner less. So that there is no confirmation that they will continue their partnership with you in future. So that it is good for you to get success with your own company and is you are good at work as you said, you will definitely get success.

5. LeroySimpson

LeroySimpson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly, if you are noticing such behaviors from your fellow partner then it is better to work alone rather in partnership, because these type of people have no guarantee that in future they will continue or not.

6. shivshakti

shivshakti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i too agree with the suggestions above. if they have no respect and recognition for your work, then you should probably not work with them. the merger will make you answerable and reliable to them and that would only bring you tension and unhappiness. U seen to love what you do, dont spoil it for yourself

7. SteveWilliams

SteveWilliams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Talk to them and tell all your concerns, in a nice way and with professionalism.