Business Names vs Site Names

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by thehomebody77, Aug 8, 2012.

1. thehomebody77

thehomebody77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of getting an online business going. Could anyone help me out with the issue of business names and site or store names. I am extremely new to this, and I'm not sure if the name I register my business under needs to be reflected in the name of the store I'm opening, or if I can register my business then name my online store separately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Your main corporate site should have the same name as your company, or should be readily identifiable with your company. Two examples from here in the US are JCPenney, a department store, and Barnes & Noble, a bookstore. Their websites, respectively, are jcp.com and bn.com. If you have only one site, the same rule applies. Some people will tell you to name your website based on the keywords you want to be ranked for for SEO purposes, but I would not recommend playing those kind of games.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pandaa

pandaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it was up to me, I would register the domain first, and then decide a business name to go along with it. The Internet is a valuable tool, and you're going to want to make sure you get a .com domain. :)

4. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that it is mandatory to have a same website domain name as that of your business name. Business or a company name can be longer so you can have a short version of it or its abbreviation as the website domain name. Also it depends on the domain availability. The domain you selected for your website may not be available but not because that the business or a company name is already registered, but because the domain is simply parked and kept unused :rolleyes: . I registered a business last year and it was really tough to think about a business name along with my two partners. Then we made a domain name out of the business name.