Business name question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jjohnson2485, Jul 21, 2012.

1. jjohnson2485

jjohnson2485
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, I have a question about naming my business.

I have and animal business and I have the name of my business and would like to advertise by the initials of the business which end up as P.A.W.S

I found out that there is a charity called PAWS. Will I be able to get away with this or will the charity come after me?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

jjohnson2485 that will depend on a number of factors such as how similar your business is to the work the charity is doing, if you will be operating in the same target market and if you will be in the same geographic market.

What country will your business be based in?

3. jjohnson2485

jjohnson2485
    uix_expand uix_collapse

United States

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No one can say whether the charity will come after you but that is certainly a risk you would take. The test in the U.S. is whether there is a likelihood of confusion between the two trademarks. While there are a lot of cases that interpret the law, ultimately it boils down to the specific facts in each situation. Although there may be analogies between two situations, no two are ever going to be exactly alike.

From the sparse facts you gave, it seems that there could be confusion but your trademark attorney would certainly want to know more before he would draw any conclusions.