Business name advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by megs, Dec 17, 2010.

1. megs

megs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all. This is my first post here.

I am hoping to start a small children's clothing label but I am already stuck on the name. I have two names that I really like. I searched for each on the vic business name registry and neither name is in use. I also searched the trade mark data base and neither one is trademarked. However I then went to register my favorite of the two names I got a FAIL message saying that I couldn't use the name as it was exactly the same name as an Australian security and investement organisation or something like that. I tried the second name (they were very different, non related words) and I got the same FAIL message. Very frustrating!

Here's my question. Just say the word I wanted to use was DINOSAUR (just an example), but I can't register that as my business. Could I register my business as DINOSAUR CHILDRENS CLOTHING , but only put the word DINOSAUR on the actual clothing labels and website etc. I really want to have a single word on the label.

Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks

2. Clasione

Clasione
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you register a trademark for the word you want to use, say it's DINOSAUR, and its approved, then that trademark can belong or be owned by DINOSAUR CLOTHING INC or even XYZ COMPANY... The mark does not need to match your business name. If you are looking to label clothing you should expect to use a mark. Unless another entity owns the mark DINOSAUR, you should be able to use it on anything you want provided that you registered it. Keep in mind, two entities may be able to hold a simillar mark in some instances (pretty sure) if they are in completely different lines of trade.... For instance, DINOSAUR CLOTHING INC could own a mark on DINOSAUR and DINOSAUR PLUMBING INC can also own a mark for DINOSAUR.

#2 Clasione, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum megs, what country is your business based in?

TradeMarks are generally category specific, so a clothing company could generally use the same name as a security company without infringing on their trademark.

4. himalshrestha

himalshrestha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well you can always keep your last name to the company as it will be a good label.

5. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whatever name you use for your business make sure that it adds some sort of value to your business.In early phase it's going to be ok but when you are established its your brand name that will present your business.

6. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi megs don't get confused. best to make a list of names that will be use as both your brand name as well as website, and then go to register one by one by best names priority. you can take help of business names suggestions agency, they provide list of Unique & Catchy Name for a Company and website. u can find brandable names at Frozen Lemons- Name Suggestion Agency for your Product and Company.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. That's kinda tough. Choosing a business name. If you cannot use DINOSAUR, have you searched for other alternative words already? Well, choosing a business name is as critical as investing and starting your business. Your business name will define who you are, what your business is, etc.

If you cannot use DINOSAUR on your business name, why not try a more CHILDREN-RELATING clothing business name? ..

8. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Choosing a business name is really a hard part, I think Dinosaur is a good name and it is children oriented.