Business Location

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by kkaipa, Sep 18, 2010.

1. kkaipa

kkaipa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I live in Reading UK and I want to start a restaurant serving Indian cuisine. However, I searching for location where I would be able to build a brand.

Could anybody suggest me location.

Cheers!!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi kkaipa, welcome to Business Advice Forum. I'm sorry but I've never been to Reading so I can't offer you any specific location requirements.

Some questions that you could ask yourself to help decide on a location include;
    • Who will your target customers be, e.g. in terms of age, nationality, interests, etc?
    • Where do these customers already frequent in your area?

Have a look at some of the existing restaurants in your town. Watch them to see which ones are successful and which ones are not. Then try to understand why the successful ones are doing well and what the poor ones are doing badly. What can you learn from these observations? Are restaurants in a particular part of town doing better than others?

Also speak to some estate agents, ask for their views as to where would be a good location and what properties they have available.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated on your thoughts and progress.

3. kkaipa

kkaipa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    while doing a research on the location. I learnt that buying a commercial property on lease will require deposit and advance rent, whereas buying an existing business property (ofcourse the property I would be interested will be leasehold) will not require deposit. which seems quiet reasonable deal. But, I am a bit sceptical into buying an existing business. Reasons; firstly, they have their own interior layout which may not match my project requirement and second their staff who are trained according to them.

Please advice me on this. I'm open for suggestion or ideas.

Cheers!!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

kkaipa we previously discussed the advantages of starting a new business versus buying an existing one and you might find useful suggestions in that discussion - Build a startup or buy an existing business?

It's important to get everything right and to have confidence in your business right from the start, hence don't make too many compromises at the beginning just for the sake of saving money. Although saying that it is obviously important to keep your costs as low as possible, especially in the early stages of the business.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I may not be an expert on this one so my answers will be based on my pure instincts.

Basically, for a restaurant, you need to choose a place in which there's a large crowd. Maybe near a park or inside a mall.
    You are a big advantage if you could find a place wherein there's no competing restaurants.

Good luck on your business.:thumbsup:

6. evenseasspasalon

evenseasspasalon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

india is growing country. there is lots of location available to business. like mumbai, Delhi , banglore etc , i think one of them best for your business. shimla . shimla is famous hill station in india.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

He is located in Reading, United Kingdom.