Business Lessons From The Devil?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by armanvakili, Jan 11, 2011.

1. armanvakili

armanvakili
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I haven’t completely lost it. There really IS a business lesson to be learned here, and yes… it IS from the devil. But, before I go deep into the details of the lesson, I want to tell you a little story…

A highly successful Human Resources Manager was tragically knocked down by a bus and killed. Her soul arrived at the Pearly Gates, where St. Peter welcomed her:

“Before you get settled in,” he said, “We have a little problem… you see, we’ve never had a Human Resources Manager make it this far before and we’re not really sure what to do with you.”

“Oh, I see,” said the woman. “Can’t you just let me in?”

“Well, I’d like to,” said St Peter, “But I have higher orders. We’re instructed to let you have a day in hell and a day in heaven, and then you are to choose where you’d like to go for all eternity.”

“Actually, I think I’d prefer heaven”, said the woman.

“Sorry, we have rules…” at which St. Peter put the HR Manager into the downward bound elevator.

As the doors opened in hell she stepped out onto a beautiful golf course. In the distance was a country club; around her were many friends – past fellow executives, all smartly dressed, happy, and cheering for her. They ran up and kissed her on both cheeks and they talked about old times. They played a perfect round of golf and afterwards went to the country club where she enjoyed a superb steak and lobster dinner. She met the Devil, who was actually rather nice, and she had a wonderful night telling jokes and dancing. Before she knew it, it was time to leave; everyone shook her hand and waved goodbye as she stepped into the elevator. The elevator went back up to heaven where St. Peter was waiting for her.

“Now it’s time to spend a day in heaven,” he said.

So she spent the next 24 hours lounging around on clouds and playing the harp and singing, which was almost as enjoyable as her day in hell. At the day’s end St Peter returned.

“So,” he said, “You’ve spent a day in hell and you’ve spent a day in heaven. You must choose between the two.”

The woman thought for a second and replied, “Well, heaven is certainly lovely, but I actually had a better time in hell. I choose hell.”

Accordingly, St. Peter took her to the elevator again and she went back down to hell.

When the doors of the elevator opened she found herself standing in a desolate wasteland covered in garbage and filth. She saw her friends dressed in rags, picking up rubbish and putting it in old sacks. The Devil approached and put his arm around her.

“I don’t understand,” stuttered the HR Manager, “Yesterday I was here, and there was a golf course, and a country club, and we ate lobster, and we danced and had a wonderful happy time. Now all there’s just a dirty wasteland of garbage and all my friends look miserable.”

The Devil looked at her and smiled. “Yesterday we were recruiting you, today you’re staff.”

Okay so as you have probably guessed by now, this story isn’t really factual. But it does deliver a brilliant message…

In business, a lot of times we are tempted to say whatever we have to, to get that sale. And that is literally like swallowing poison… it KILLS your business. Because when people buy from you expecting that they’re going to get everything you promised, and they come to find out that you were lying about 80% of it all… they WILL have buyer’s remorse and they WILL ask for their money back.

And if that happens, not only did you not make any money but you lost a lot of time, energy, and most importantly… credibility.

I actually experienced something like this a few years back. I was looking at a few different Network Marketing opportunities and trying to figure out which one was the best to start.

I looked at a total of 5 different opportunities… and they all were pretty good businesses. They were established, had a lot of people making money using their systems, and they ALL promised riches beyond your wildest dreams. No where in the recruiting process though, was I ever told that there is a HIGH likelihood that I might fail if I don’t work hard.

“All you have to do is join, pay such-and-such per month, and you’ll be making money in no time.”

That sounded amazing to me. I was like is that all there is to building a business? I could do this EASY.

And you already know how it ended… just like our HR manager’s story. I didn’t make a single penny. I got pissed, and left. I will never go back to that company nor will I ever refer anyone to that company… simply because I have negative emotions of loss associated with them.

The company itself could be absolutely amazing, and I’m sure it is for the people who are working it right. But the guy who recruited me, is NOT making much money. Want to know how I know?

Because if he was willing to recruit me the way he did, it means he did it with every other person that he recruited. And that’s not the right way to recruit someone into Network Marketing… you will not retain anyone.

Here’s the moral of the story… DON’T LIE!

I know that it’s one of those “duhhh” things… it’s super obvious right? If that was the case, you wouldn’t have all these articles on the internet saying this guy is a scam artist and that guy is a scam artist.

Whether you’re trying to recruit someone into your business, or trying to sell a product… don’t lie about what your business opportunity or product can do. Tell them the possibilities, sure. But also tell them the flip side of the coin.

Some people DON’T make money… in fact, some people LOSE money.

Just be real. People like people who are straight forward with them… so be straight forward. Tell them how it really is. You’ll actually be surprised that not only will your conversion rates go up, but so will your retention rates. People who do buy from you, will be less likely to ask for a refund because you told them everything up front.

People who get recruited onto your business will be less likely to quit because you told them from the get go that they need to work to make money. And if they do quit, they won’t go tell everyone they know that you’re an asshole who lied to them.

See how telling the truth works?

So when you’re pitching your product or your business, you will have an angel sitting on your right shoulder and a devil sitting on the left one. Think carefully about who you listen to… it could be the difference between a million dollar business, and a class action law suit.

Share this with your peeps.

Talk soon,

Arman Vakili