Business in US from abroad

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Oleg, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Oleg

Oleg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I am foreigner who lives outside of US and I want to start my first business. If I will be selling material goods I want to distribute them from the fulfillment house located in US.
    I'd like to manufacture them in China -> than they are going to the fulfillment house in US -> using internet store I gonna sell them.
    Do I need to register my own company/firm? I am asking because I am foreigner in country I am currently living and have no chances to register firm/company.
    Which options do I have in that case? Thanks a lot

Oleg

2. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Oleg,

If you live outside of the US and sell goods in the United States you should only have to register and comply with the company/tax laws in your country. Of course you can not sell anything that is illegal in the US but if the product is legal you must only follow standard US laws such as customs / copyright / materials etc. laws. Your company set up and tax liabilities will most likely be only subjected to your home/business residence. A huge part of the equation will be however how you are selling your items and through who and also where you live and what items they are. Without that information no one will really be able to answer your questions. Also whenever in doubt it is always wise to consult and attorney and accountant with related expertise.

3. RobertL

RobertL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there Oleg,
    You don't need to register anything in the US. What is your product exactly? If you tell me what it is you are trying to sell I can give you some good fulfillment houses, and I can warn you of some bad ones. I run a fulfillment house in Europe but I am well familiar with the ones in the US since that is where we started out and that is where our company is based.
    If you're starting up I would generally recommend a small flexible fulfillment house, you might be needing assembly services for example which is something big fulfillment houses don't generally offer to small clients.

#3 RobertL, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016