Business idea - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by azuresky2006, Dec 18, 2009.

1. azuresky2006

azuresky2006
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone! :)

My name is Anna and I'm from Israel. I had this idea for starting a business, and was wondering what do you think about it. I'll give some background: as you know, there are quite a lot of situations when a person have an hour or two to "kill", while being far away from home. Here are just a few examples:
    - waiting for the train or bus at the station
    - sitting at the airport
    - have some time to spend before an appointment in a busy city center
    - driving a long way, tired and want to have some rest

I myself have been in this kind of situation a lot of times. Now, usually people spend time by walking around, eating somewhere, shopping etc. But imagine, that you have a quiet room at the nearby, where you can read, order some food, listen to a music or even have a nap! We don't have anything like that in my town. In fact, I've searched the web and haven't found any existing facilities of this kind in any country.

So, what do you think? Would you use a service like that for a reasonable price, to chill out for an hour or two? Do you know of any place that offer it?

Thanks,
    Anna

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Anna, welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for asking your business questions. I'd be interested to hear a little bit more about your idea. Would you be providing a room for just one person or would it be a communal area?

Probably with the exception of the nap part, what you describe sounds like a chilled out cafe, is that the kind of thing you have in mind?

For your idea to work it would have to be close to an area, where lots of people find themselves waiting, town / city centres and airports come to mind. One of the most important factors in the success of any business, is that it fulfils a need or want, for its target customers. The need, of people with time to kill, to find something to do with that time is an interesting one and no doubt there are business opportunities associated with that need.

If you can please provide us with a little more info, we will be able to provide you with more helpful advice.

Welcome once again and please post back with your thoughts.

3. punik99

punik99
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

One of the comments I have heard recently is that it is still difficult to sell in the current economic climate. If you need to build your sales pipeline and win new business you might want to talk to Indirect Channel Ltd. Their service is a "pay per qualified sales lead" service. You pay a fixed low cost for each qualified lead. They also have a process to handle any buyer or supplier claim, complaint or suggestion. They do not sell for you but they do send you details and requirements of buyers who sign up and
    register that are looking for the products and services that you supply.

My comment - I hope you find this useful.

4. augest

augest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't seen such facilities.
    It sounds very good. But I don' think I would pay for a service like that. And if the facilities are in a busy city center, near bus station or at the airport, a lot of money is required to build the facilities.

5. ally34

ally34
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

Thanks for sharing this nice information. This is very useful information. Keep sharing more and more helpful information. ...

Thanks
    Have a nice tie ahead.

6. azuresky2006

azuresky2006
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I though it can be some kind of combination of two areas:
    1) a small sitting area with sofas & tables
    2) private areas with an option to get some rest or a nap

I guess it really resembles a chill out cafe, but with more options for a customer. It will certainly serve some food and hot&cold drinks, and to encourage the customers to use our services I even thought to include a free coffee&pastry. Of course, I'll have to figure out if I can provide such facilities for a reasonable price, so it would be just a little more expensive compared to existing places.

Yeah, I totally agree. The idea came to my mind after I repeatedly found myself in a situation where I could gladly use such a facility. I talked to my bf, he said it sounds like a very nice idea to him. So now I'm trying to do some basic market research to get a first impression.

Thanks a lot for this information! I've found their site, so I'll check it out :)

Yeah, I absolutelly agree - this starts from the money question, means how much a potential customer will be ready to pay for my services and what are the other options for him. At the first stage, I'll target the customers who already intend to spend money, like those who anyway would kill waiting time by somehow spending money (that's what people usually do outdoors when they don't have anything better to do :) ).

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update Anna and for posting back. Have you got some ideas as to how you will carry out your market research? Visiting and checking out all of the cafes and coffee shops in your area might be a good start. Note the facilities that they provide, their range of food and drinks, try to form an opinion as to what is popular with their customers, have a look at their prices and try to determine why some outlets are busy, when others are not so busy.

8. themiddleman

themiddleman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My first impression of this proposal was that it sounded a bit impractical. I'm really pleased that those who have responded have not been as dismissive as I initially was, because it is often ideas like this that lead to big things.

It's really nice to be somewhere where people are so helpful. I hope Anna is able to follow up her idea and make a success of it.

9. azuresky2006

azuresky2006
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, that's what I'll eventually do. Visiting places you've mentioned sounds like the best way to figure out what people want, and how much are they ready to pay for it. Meanwhile I'm working on my idea, talk to people who might be my target customers and search the web. I have to say I'm totally amazed by how readily people help, share thoughts and ideas with me, I already got a lot of useful tips :).

10. azuresky2006

azuresky2006
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your prospective. These days I'm trying to figure out if I can make any money of my initial idea. Most likely it will transfer to something a bit different, with more potential. Anyway, a healthy portion of criticism is always helpful, and I'm eager to hear what people think about my ideas - sometimes I'm too excited to be practical :).

11. themiddleman

themiddleman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just remember me when you get rich, won't you now?

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well Anna ..Great idea..Congrats for getting a Unique idea!!! :D
    So you are getting into service industry..Well apart from 4p's of marketing,,services have 3 more P's- People, Process and Physical Evidence... You have to implement them in your business concept ..It will be a little bit difficult for you to create Physical Evidence...which according to me will be an important part of your business...These 3P's of marketing are not just any ordinary P's of marketing but are core of your whole business...so try to focus on recruiting people who can understand the nature of the service you are offering, process that can create value for your customers and then Physical evidence as explained before... Try this!!!!:D