Business Cards?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JPM, May 22, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Has anyone here recently used an online company for business cards? Is there anyone you would recommend?

I am based in Ireland so they would have to be able to deliver here.

Below is an example of the type of result I am looking for, nothing to complicated.

View attachment 387

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

never use online company for business card. Wondering why dont you go for the local printer shop
    or you are looking for cheaper cost? if you are looking for cheaper cost, how much you are expected?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That card looks great Jonathan, did you design it yourself?

I haven't used them myself, although I might use them in the near future, http://www.vistaprint.ie are very popular.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I've also been looking for a good, reputable online business card manufacturer recently to make some business cards for a possible upcoming project I have. I'm in England. If anyone has any recommendations for me, feel free to please PM me with them!

• Like Like x 1
  5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually Fergal, I think I may use vistaprint.ie thanks for the recommendations. That card is a sample from another site that I put together.

Thanks gys.

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Common, unquestionably. Popular? Not so sure. ;)

Vistaprint get a great amount of notice due to the relatively cheap point of entry. However, if you start going for the extras (e.g. heavier weight of card, any sort of elaborate finish, etc.) the costs quickly add up and it's not quite the bargain it appears at first glance. They often get a lot of negative attention for 'lack of quality' which I don't agree with, the standard of finish on the upper end products is comparable to any printer, it's just that by the time you upgrade the product to get that level of finish you can normally get a better deal elsewhere. They also have a horrible (and deserved) reputation for the over aggressive follow up sales techniques, it's nothing short of spam, but that can easily be ignored or removed with a quick mail making it quite clear to remove you from the distribution.

If you're ordering shortly JPM, you might be interested in having a look at www.printing.com. They've a "2 for 1" special on business cards this month, so 1000 for the price of 500. I'm not sure which is your local office, but I've dealt with the Cork branch on occasion and happy to say I'm a satisfied customer. Paul (Feeny) has always been a pleasure to deal with in the office there. I was going for something a little different and found a suitable card using their star marquee finish that met my needs, so didn't compare costs on the more basic cards directly, but with the 2 for 1 offer I'd assume they'll be as competitive as any provider on a similar level (ensure when comparing prices you're comparing like with like. Go through any of the business cards you've collected over the years and you'll soon notice the differences that make some stand out. Having the heavier weighted card, two side colour printing, laminated finish, etc. can all help to make it that little bit more memorable).

• Like Like x 2
  7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With the upcoming proposed #IRLDay it's only right to give a quick mention of Tweak too. Jerry has been doing a great job promoting it and have to say having experienced the customer service first hand he's doing a stand up job there. Potential for them to become a real big player in the market in the future.

It's a different take on business cards to the normal print services, in that you work with pre laid out templates and tweak them to your needs. Using the options available (especially with some clever use of background images), it's surprising just how customised you can make the designs. In terms of costs, it's a tough one to beat (starting price going from around 3 cents per card) but obviously the setup means it won't be ideal for everyone. Just said I'd give it a quick mention.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for all that valuable feedback Paul, it's always very useful to hear from someone with first hand experience of the relevant suppliers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the comments Paul, I have looked at all sites mentioned and will probably choose vistaprint.ie as I really only want a basic card. Much appreciated for your advice though.

10. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used an online printers for business cards, was a bit cheaper but it was a bit over complicated and all correspondence via email so when the business cards weren't delivered on time it was a bit of a headache to track them down, the courier also wouldn't accept responsibility for them being so late, also if there is the slightest problem with the design the job is held up even more. Now I know how it works I would probably use them again, though I think it's easier to use a local company.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Given my line of work, I've no real problems communicating remotely in general, but for printing it can be an issue. When giving approval on drafts, it really can make a difference in seeing the real thing vs. proofing a PDF. It's amazing how the very small differences that occur in the printing process can change your mind in what way to go with a project. The PDF's get very very close, but they're never a perfect match. As TD says, there are other advantages too to using the local suppliers so that should figure into the consideration but it's about striking the balance that works for the individual.

I'm sure myself and Fergal will bump into you at some stage Jonathan and relive you of a couple of those cards ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bebhinn

Bebhinn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have used Vistaprint and was very unimpressed. The cutting was shoddy and it looked like I'd made them at home. It's also hard to get it exactly as you want online as you can never be sure exactly where they are going to do the cut - there is a guideline but it can vary.

I used Reeds and they were excellent. They are in Dublin for sure, but maybe other places too. They are quick, efficient, and if you want to call in to make sure they do the size exactly as you want, you can sit with the designer. If you email them, they have them ready in 24 hours. I would highly recommmend them.

Good luck, the card looks great!

• Like Like x 2
  13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info' would you happen to know if they have a site?

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is that Reeds of Nassau Street? I used their photocopying service a bit when I was in college, they've moved their business son quite a lot since then :)

15. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ditto, plenty of projects printed off in there and rushed back to the Museum Building across the road. Bringing back great memories.

I wasn't aware they offered design services at all, although it is a number of years since I was last there. Having said that, a glance at their site doesn't do much for them in terms of aesthetics... but design is subjective so maybe that's just me. The prices seem in or around the right ballpark (a little on the high side with so many 'specials' available with most printers these days), so if you could get some type of offer from them (from memory they were great for offers on the stationary type products and printing specials, so I'd imagine they'd be the same on design/business printing) it should be competitive.

16. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since I registered they have sent me around 8 emails in 6 days, and 3 times now I have 'unsubscribed'. You are not wrong Paul.

17. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've personally used overnight prints and printed 5,000 front and back sided cards very high quality.
    I also used my own design.

http://www.overnightprints.com/

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They look like a good option An Alien, thanks for sharing that with us.

JPM, sounds like it's time for you to block emails coming from them, it's a shame to see such a well known online service spamming like that.

19. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Been a good while since I've looked at it, but what information is given when you unsubscribed? (They may have a "5 working days" type caveat there)

If you're still receiving mails outside of the terms given when unsubscribing, I'd pop a quick (strongly worded) mail to them informing them if it occurs again and you continue to receive this unsolicited mail, you will pursue the issue with the data protection commissioner. Should it continue, jump onto www.dataprotection.ie and lodge a complaint against them.

It really is a fairly nasty post sale technique they employ, I can only imagine it does far more harm to their sales than good.

20. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

i think this website helps you design2express.co.uk/ to create your business cards