Business Based On Trust?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by HLC, Nov 14, 2011.

1. HLC

HLC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have recently read a few different books. The first was "E-Myth" and the second was "Start Something That Matters." "E-Myth" states that you should create a strict book that tells how employees should do every duty of their job. While "Start Something That Matters" focuses more on having no strict rules and instead having a system of trust. The argument being that trust will bring loyalty and will produce more happy and able employees. He must have got something right since he was the founder of Toms. My question is should I rely on trust or have a more rigid structure? Thanks.

2. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you feel you can trust your employees to do what they have to do without breathing down their backs then it would be better to give them some space. Employees in general like to have space, and by you giving that to them, it will help build their respect for you and your company. If you don't feel so comfortable with trusting them, then give them their space but check up on them frequent enough, without them necessarily knowing about it so you can alleviate your fears.

3. luch

luch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally believe there must be a balance. There should be space for employees to try out things, make a few mistakes, and learn while keeping some rules such that they wont fall out of direction. At the end of the day, i think it's really about your gut feel about the person, if he/she is someone that is responsible and that can be counted on.

4. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that a balance is good too but what you will likely find is that the larger the company, the more policies and rules will be needed. It's almost like at some point in terms of company size, a formal HR department, even if only 1 or 2 individuals, will be required since the company staff has grown too much to just run on informal trust on a day to day basis.

5. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on the conditions of the company. In heavy work load where deadlines seem hard to meet it, frustration is noticed in the atmosphere and managers can be easily seen nagging their subordinates, but if it becomes a habit then working at the place would be tough. I think workers deserve a space and work freely without having to face pressure everyday. Meeting deadlines is different but a relaxed atmosphere would yield more positive results.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Trust is definitely needed, dont use the employee that you never trust, it will make your life worse than doing it by your own. however, follow up and monitoring is still needed

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Trust is most probably the most important when doing a business with someone you don't really know very well. And trust is also the thing that keep a business forever lasting in one point.

8. NewRealms

NewRealms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I kind of agree with James. It depends upon the business.

If you are running a McDonalds type business then systems is the way to do.
    If you are running a creative type business then trust take the lead.

Every business must have some rules. It is not a democracy, it's a business.
    Yet trust is essential to employee morale.

Balance in all things.

RICK

9. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only thing that I want to discus is your title. If you can not make your trust then you may never do progress in your business. You have to provide best services and always promise those things that you may provide/deliver. Don`t try to do bluff with your customers. It`s the only thing that can make your business strong and trustworthy.

10. kumkum01

kumkum01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me, Employees in general like to have space, and by you giving that to them, it will help build their respect for you and your company. If you don't feel so comfortable with trusting them, then give them their space but check up on them frequent enough, without them necessarily knowing about it so you can alleviate your fears.....Thanks

11. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it's like a mirror reflection, when a boss trust an employee, the employee will return with same response. End up it create a harmony working environment.

12. jack123456

jack123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you experience you can confidence your workers to do what they have to do without inhaling and exhaling down their supports then it would be better to present them some room. Staff in common like to have room, and by you supplying that to them, it will help develop their regard for you and your business. If you don't experience so comfy with trustworthy them, then provide them with their room but test up on them typical enough, without them actually understanding about it so you can ease your concerns.

13. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Completely agree with you. Trust is definitely needed. You have to trust your employees, business parteners, marketers.

14. infobanc

infobanc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This was defintely an interesting example, although I would have liked a few more details about how they carry out their policy. The last company I worked for had a customer based-policy too. They called it the "Customer Covenant". Unfortuantely, having a stated policy didn't actually change the culture. It didn't make the software better or the work environment more collaborative, even though those were stated goals. That is why I am more interested in practives than policies. Any cludes as to how they made this work would be appreciated.
    http://www.infobanc.com/

15. cheapjersey

cheapjersey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

#15 cheapjersey, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011