Business advice for doing e-business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sonal, Jan 10, 2013.

1. sonal

sonal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello, i am interested in doing e-business (selling goods online) , can anyone help me by telling the procedure of it. please tell me if any know about it.

2. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First things first:

1. Design your website in such a manner that it contains the key words for your product and do look for it on the Google ad words tool. Make the content on your landing page informative and include your keywords.

2. Join forums related to your business and create an attractive profile. Go for active forum posts and suggestions on them.

3. Go for social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Stubleupon, Friend Feed and many and create your business page on them. Invite friends and be active on them.

4. go for listing of your business on free listing sites.

5. Go for press releases.

6. GO for blog posts on your pages and do comment on blogs related to your business.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get a website for selling your products online or you can sell via ebay as well.

If you have a product that can be sold on a large scale then getting a website is good. Or you can sell by posting on classified websites and directly shipping it.

Could you elaborate more on your product line?

4. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For E-business you first need to get good search engine ranking so that your website may visible to other. Try to choose the products relevant to your product your products. And get a PayPal account.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum sonal, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

Your question is really very broad and you will get more helpful responses if you can be more specific. For example, are you looking for help with finding a product to sell, setting up an e-commerce website, promoting your website, getting customers, etc?

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

RESEARCH, PLAN, RESEARCH, PLAN!

I've started and ended many ideas over the course of the past couple of years and feel wasted time by reinventing myself (and my businesses) too often. Take extra time to research and plan your business effectively. If you know what you'd like to sell then that's 50% of your planning done.

A business plan is a must.

When you've answered Fergal's question.. you'll get more advice and responses - me included.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lets Syncro

Lets Syncro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with all the above and will check in when we see what it is you are selling. Your product determines the path.
    Best of Luck

Shawn

8. psrb4u

psrb4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you already have a physical store and interested in bringing it online then the job might not be tough. And if you want to start right from the scratch then you may find it difficult. First, analyze the market of the product you want to sell. Then identify your competitors, either buy a full functioning e-commerce website or hire someone to make one for you. Add products on your website. Make your online presence popular among your customer group.

9. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you. It is earlier procedure till promotion carried out.

10. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As per my suggestion,E-business actually allows the companies to reach more consumers in a much broader economic market. It is commonly defined as the "e Business" or "e-business",or an internet business.In general, it may be defined as the application of information and communication technologies in support of all the activities of the business.In order to start up a business with the help of eCommerce, one should keep into consideration the following recommendations:
    1. Deciding what actually has to be done and identifying and defining the niche.
    2. Developing a business plan.
    3. Funding the business at a low cost.
    4. Building up the website.
    5. Drive traffic to your site.
    And last but not the least, follow up the rules and regulations that are considered while starting the business as e-Business.

11. sonal

sonal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks everyone for your reply.

12. sonal

sonal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i am confused about the product to sell. please help me for the same.

13. sonal

sonal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i am confused about the product to sell. please help me for the same.

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    Sonal

YOu have to design and host an e-commerce portal if you are thinking ofstarting in a big way.Many companies offer such designing serivces starting for as little as 280$ for basic level... Otherwise you can use the aid of social and business platforms like ebay, flipkart and many other such sites to gain an experience before hand...

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Deciding on what you are going to sell, will most probably be your first step. Ask yourself questions such as:

• Who will be the target customers for your business and what types of products are they interested in?
    • What are your target customers unhappy about? This may help you identify opportunities to do things better and serve those customers better than existing businesses.

Think about what interests you, what product areas you are knowledgeable in and the products you purchase yourself. Does that give you any ideas as to products that would be suitable for selling online, or perhaps of products that you are already seeing online, but that you could sell in a better way?

• Like Like x 1
  16. kristenhanna

kristenhanna
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is good that you have decided to sell products online. to begin with, I suggest you to choose the products that you wish to sell for an example, mobile apps, baby clothes, baby products, accessoies, apparels, mobiles, books, tutorials or anything like that. Once you are confirmed with your product, choose the best ecommerce platform to build an ecommerce store. You can also try building a mobile app and sell them through online. If your mobile app is interesting and different, you will make more money on them.

17. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Find Something That You Can Specialize In That Has Enough Demand

When trying to decide what product or service to sell, it pays to consider supply versus demand of the product. I would look for something that has a lot of demand for it right now. Find a niche that is underserved.

If I had a choice between these two scenarios:
    1) Having a superior website with superior sales copy in a niche with average demand
    2) Having an average website with average sales copy in a niche with strong demand

I would take the second option every time. If is far easier to succeed in a niche when there is adequate demand for what you are selling. The demand should exceed whatever supply is currently available for this.

If you have never run a business before, don’t try to compete head to head in a niche where there are a lot of competitors. That is a recipe for failure. Instead, you should find some specialty within a strong niche where you can specialize. Do something different than everybody else. Focus on one area within that niche that nobody else (or few other companies) are focusing on.

Here is a good example of a specific niche within a larger one - http://www.sinfulshoes.com/ They specialize is selling shoes that increase sex appeal instead of selling everyday shoes or casual shoes or sneakers or loafers or winter boots.

Here is an example of a specific niche business within the much larger women’s sleepwear niche - http://www.pajamagram.com/ All they sell are pajamas. You aren’t going to buy lingerie or other types of sleepwear here, just pajamas.

Here is a company that specializes in women’s fitness apparel http://www.movingcomfort.com/ instead of trying to sell every type of women’s clothing.

Those are successful businesses that carved out a small specific niche from within a much larger niche. They can compete against major retailers like Macys, JcPennys, Target, etc. because they specialize. People prefer to do business with experts. This is why doctors specialize in very specific areas of medicine. This is why small stores specialize in very specific niches. They are experts in their specific field.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nathanleont

nathanleont
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best way to go about selling goods online is to have two sites, one a squeeze page and second a blog. Do not sell any items on either! the key to long term profits online is building a sustainable business through a list. Sending traffic from search engines to a sale page wont work. I see alot of marketers trying to sell $30 clickbank products hoping that they will get rich. Drive traffic to your blog or squeeze page and offer something of value first of all before you attempt any kind of sale or transaction. Build a relationship with your clients first and they will appreciate you for it. I've been in this industry for a while and believe me this has always worked best for me.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Ted, you give excellent advice and recommendations.
    Do you have any practical suggestions as to how to go about doing that?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are some ideas:

Method 1 - Rely on real life experiences when doing research. For example – sometimes when I am searching online for help with a problem, I will notice that good information on that topic is really hard to find. When that happens, that presents an opportunity in the marketplace. I assume that if I am researching information about that topic, then other people are probably researching that topic too. Then you can pop over to the Google Adwords Keyword tool and see how many people are generally searching for that topic. If there is a reasonable amount of search volume, then you have found a legitimate business opportunity. Of course it also depends on the topic itself and whether it is commercially viable. There probably isn't much money in teaching someone how to tie a slip knot or how to make a paper airplane.

Method 2 – Pay attention to what your friends ask you about or complain about. I bet your friends complain to you about certain things that happen in their lives. Maybe someone says “I wish there was a good place to go buy …………….” OR maybe your friends are constantly asking you questions about a certain topic because you have a lot of experience with that topic. That might present an opportunity for you to build a website to help other people with that very same topic area. The first time I did this, I ended up with a website that earned about $1,000 per month and took very little work on my part. Just do the research first and see how many other people are wondering the same thing. And, check to see if it is easy to find the answer to that question.

Method 3 – Carve a niche out of an industry you already know a lot about. I don’t know the stories behind those companies that I mentioned and linked to in my previous comment. But, I am willing to make a bet that somebody just spotted an opportunity in a market that they were interested in. For instance, the site that sells the sinful shoes probably got started because some woman was tired of going from store to store to store looking for the same type of shoes. She probably realized that it would be cool to have a store that specialized in selling just those kinds of shoes and had a really large selection of them. Think about your industry and the companies that serve it. Is there an opportunity there to specialize in something that nobody is specializing in? Take web design. Does anyone specialize in websites for home improvement businesses? How about specializing in websites for hair dressers or electricians or plumbers or auto repair shops? Use your imagination.

Method 4 – Join a forum within a niche you are interested in and start asking around. I created a thread on this forum to ask questions about what your number one problem is when it comes to promoting your website. I asked that because I want to learn what problems business owners are facing when it comes to promoting their websites. I already work in that niche. But, I am looking for new opportunities to do things better and new opportunities for things I may be missing in that market. So, just getting feedback on that thread might reveal an opportunity where there is more demand for something than there is supply for it.

• Like Like x 1