Building your own computer

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Quacker Jack, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Has anyone here ever built their own computer? What is your take on it? Was it worth it? What are your specs like? If you haven't, is there any reason why you are against it?

I built my first computer with a couple last August, courtesy of an extra $1,000 I picked up for doing a small officiating job at a local country club. I was extremely nervous to do it, as it was a rather large investment to me to perform something my knowledge was limited in. However, it was totally worth it. My computer is rocking an i7 2700k processor and a 560TI EVGA graphics card. The thing I loved about building it was that I could power pack it for much less than buying it at the store. I probably saved about $500 by doing so. Additionally, it is relatively easy to replace individual parts if you needed to, which is handy for small upgrades.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bobby

Bobby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to build computers and it's actually responsible for me being involved with the Internet when it first became available.

There used to be good savings in building from scratch, I find the saving are not as good anymore. What you can get however is better components for the same price, in that sense I guess the saving are there. Also by doin git yourself, you are able to fix as well since you have an understanding of the individual components.

Bobby

3. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sadly I haven't. I wanted to build my own computer but then I was really scared to do so because it might cost me more than a store bought package comp. Is it really that cheap compared to the store bought one?

If so, can you help us like listing down some of the parts and their prices in the stores?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Quacker Jack. Where did you source the parts for your computer?

I've never actually built my own PC, but am hoping to do it for my next PC. I've been going through some HTML and PHP video tutorials on the New Boston and they are excellent. They also have a series of tutorials on building your own PC, if they are up to the standard of the other tutorials on that site, they would be well worth a watch for anyone considering building their own computer.

5. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cesspadilla - For a lower end computer, it is possible. Although I think in the end it could still be cheaper. I would consider my $1000 PC (cost of building) to be about $500 less than the store cost. For a lower end computer, these savings will be smaller, but I bet you could still expect to save $100-200, depending on how much you want to spend. I could help you.

Fergal - MicroCenter and Newegg were the sites. They are extremely reputable in the USA. I don't know where you would get them in England though, but I bet it wouldn't be an issue. I could help you a little bit as far as selections. But either way I go to a reputable computer building forum to get their opinions on my build before I buy it, and to make sure everything is compatible.

To both cesspadilla and Fergal, I think you both would be interested in this site: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

That site is incredibly handy at (obviously) picking out parts for your computer. The cool thing is about it is that it will calculate the prices for where to buy the part and tell you the cheapest(or at least in the USA). In fact it specifically told me to go instore to MicroCenter (a midsized tech store chain) and get the parts. It also really puts the price in perspective and helps you make sure your PC is complete.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lynxus

lynxus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every PC I have ever had I have build myself.

Today, As already mentioned, cost savings isnt as big as it was. However you still do save!

Example:
    Sites like aria, overclockers , ebuyer ( UK sites ) etc. all do "bundles" now where you buy the Motherboard, CPU and ram together.

In most cases, This is all that is needed for a major upgrade ( maybe a new gfx card and hdd / ssd from time to time ) and this can cost ~ £350 for a pretty damn good spec cpu and motherboard.

For £350 , yes you can pick up a PC from pc world etc. but it will probably only be 20% of the speed / spec that you can build for the same price.
    Even if you buy a case, psu , dvd drive, ssd and the rest, your looking at £450 / £500 for a really good PC that would cost £800+ in a store.

In-fact, Testimony to this, is that my LAST build was done about 5 years ago for ~ £400 and it STILL plays the new games on High to Ultra high settings and runs as smooth as the day it was born because I installed an SSD rather than a normal hard disk.

Oh and re building it yourself.
    Here is my tips..
    1) You cant plug stuff into the wrong sockets. Typically only the expected cables can slot into the expected slots.
    2) When screwing the motherboard to the case, ensure that only the risers from the case to the screw holes are there. Do not let any other part of the board touch the case or other risers that will not have a screw in them.
    3) Dont screw stuff in too tightly, its not needed.

Fyi:
    This is a nice, Cheap and pretty damn fast bundle for £300
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundl...ore+Unlocked+Next+Day+Bundle+?productId=52499

• Like Like x 1
  7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't build my own from scratch :D But I did customize my build especially becuase I wanted the graphics to be great so I added better video card, bought a better PSU too. They're the usual that I replace if I customize a friends computer apart from thier RAMs.
    I added a monitor in my PC just so I can have two at the same time. :D

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the excellent tips and suggestions Quacker Jack and lynxus. I've subscribed to this thread so that I can find it again, when I start building my own PC.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you mean assembling a computer or building one from scratch ...usually assembling a computer saves you a bulk of cost and you can configure it exactly as per your requirement and needs....

10. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lynxus - That's a pretty solid build for the price. Impressive.

No problem Fergal. When you do start building a computer, I'm no expert but I am definitely an enthusiast. If you have questions, feel free to contact me anytime, and I can help steer you in the right direction.

Scifi- In a sense, you could say both. I'm referring to buying all the individual parts and than putting the computer together yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jiashia

jiashia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One hint is new hardware so called solid state drive. It like hard drive replaced with flash memory, same size but some 4-8 times faster