Building Sales team for starting Consulting Agency - Need tips and advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by ukhan491, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ukhan491

ukhan491
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Greetings,
    New to the forum, thought I say hello as I have a very important question to ask. :)

We're a startup IT Consulting company in the medical industry. We specialize in providing expert consultants from various backgrounds in relation to the medical environment. We need to build a strong sales team to serve as our foundation, I was wondering if anyone can kindly provide me with some useful information in regard to producing a highly skilled sales force.

Here's what I need to know:

1. Where to find sales personnel? How do I know whose good or not? Provide any resources you find reliable.

2. What is the salary structure for a said sales person and lead sales person or director? Provide anything I should know in regard to Hourly, Salary Only, , Salary + Commission, Commission only.

3. Any professional services offered in this area (As in a third party company providing sales consulting)? If yes is it affordable?

4. If a sales agent gets a project for 3 months, later that project is extended to 1 year, how is the sales person compensated for this? Provide a proven working model.

I was thinking about offering a base salary + commission based on performance. Based on this model what do you guys think is a fair salary structure for an IT consulting agency. Our Rates vary from $130-$160 per hour per consultant, average contract is 90 day to full extension.

I greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and provide me with any helpful data.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you guys.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Where will the people you hire be based - what state or country?

3. ukhan491

ukhan491
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your reply. We are based in TX, USA. We are also open to a remote sales team. Thanks.

4. contech

contech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can look for reputable recruiting agency in your place and hire those personnel for your company

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually the founders are the initial sales staff for the company.
    Are you even sure that you should hire a salesman or multiple salesmen to handle this for you?
    It sounds like what you need is a marketing plan more so than a salesman. Or maybe you just haven’t explained enough about your situation yet?
    What makes you think you need a salesman? Are you just hoping that a salesman will be able to generate business for you? Because if you are assuming that, then I think you are in for a surprise.

Ask yourself these questions:
    Who is our target audience that we intend to sell to? Who is the exact person at this medical office who will decide whether or not to hire us?
    Who knows that person or has regular contact with that person right now?
    How can we hire that person to work for us or how can we incentivize him to help us generate business?
    Instead of thinking about your sales staff as salesmen, think about them as problem solvers. Then ask yourself how can we find people who can help us convince our target customers that we can solve their problems?
    True salesmanship is about solving problems not pushing a product that you are hoping someone will want to buy.
    Checkout Robin Robins too. She is top notch when it comes to marketing IT firms.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that giving base salary and commission according tot he work is good decision of yours,and as the word sales man itself means that the capability of the person to sale himself means how he presents his qualities and abilities in front of you is the basic idea to know best about who should be recruited as a sales man.