Building a website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by chad, Jun 1, 2010.

1. chad

chad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, I'd like to build a website for my new business(landscaping). Can you suggest any good sites to work from. I'm on a budget and not computer savy but willing to work through it. Also a website that once complete my address is just www.myname.com not some long convoluted address.

Thanks

2. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can try webs or weebly

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

4. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Chad

I just want to point out a few things before you get started on your project.

What do you hope to achieve with your site? If you just want to use it as brochure to promote your company, then a free site builder would work just fine. Just make sure you don't have ads showing on the pages, because often times with free site sites, the hosting company puts ads on the pages in exchange for giving you free space.

Now realize, with any site builder, just because you build the site doesn't mean anyone will find it. In fact, most sites are doomed to oblivion from the outset because they are not written to be search engine friendly. Also, even if they do get traffic, they do not convert visitors to income because selling on the Net is different than selling in person.

There is a way to build a site that gets ever-growing traffic, that can convert your visitors to customers. It's called the CTPM method (Content, Traffic, Presell, Monetize) and there is a free ebook you can read that explains it in detail. It can be downloaded at ctpm [dot] sitesell [dot] com

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi if you want to do a landscaping business I would suggest doing some keyword research and register the best landscaping/local domain name eg landscapingmelbourne.com.au and build a simple WP blog - it is very easy and the simplest tool I've used plus there is plenty of support and information freely available, themes and skins and support here.

The local business market is easy to dominate and having a search name that is a keyword will help you outrank your competition (surely your aim).

Also hst in Google local search/maps, online directory sites and then you can dominate page 1 of Google easily so if people search landscaping in your area you look like the authority expert they need to have straight up.

Don't waste time and effort doing something which is not going to get you maximum results do it right way first up.

Most hosting will offer fantastico in the cpanel which lets you upload WP automatically.

Cheers if you need any help/advice or want to be walked through this stuff just PM me

6. chad

chad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info guys.
    The goal of my site is basically a brochure of the services I offer. I live in a small town but there are many competitors in the area. Ideally I do come up high in the search engine.
    I've been searching and educating myself a bit with the info I got from you guys and I appreciate it.