Building a search engine?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Hal, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hal

Hal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

This is my first post. Thanks for supplying this service.

I would like to begin to construct a website that performs the function of searching, but with limitations. For instance one would be given a choice to search for a used car at both autotrader.com and cars.com through my site.
    I have no programming experience and would be willing to pay for the construction. But I am not sure how to go about it. Would a freelancer be capable of something this complex? Or would I need to hire a more sophisticated "team". Also. do I create the simple form of the site first (also through a freelancer?) and then continue to add elements such as this along the way. And if so, does a website grow in complexity by a number of different programmers leaving their mark? And lastly, if I do manage to continue down the path of construction, where is the code stored and how do I know/trust what is being changed along the way?
    I am sorry for sounding so uninformed. I am sixty-one and have a lot of catching up to do.
    Thanks.

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hi Hal and welcome to Business Advice Forum. You might consider taking the time to properly Introduce Yourself to us. :)

Anyhow, from what I've read of your plan it's most definitely possible to do that. You would need permission from websites involved to use their search system on your own site but that's not going to be hard to get since you will be promoting their site.

What you're asking for is possible. The best way to do it would probably be by using PHP code. There are a lot of tutorials for using it on the web but I must say it takes a long time to fully learn. If time is something you don't have, then a freelancer would be the way to go if you have money.

If you have any further questions, please do say! :)

3. Hal

Hal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Grumpy!

I posted to the welcome page.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Thanks for taking my advice to do so. ;)

I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction and if you need anymore help please do ask, either myself or another member will be happy to help!

5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doe someone want a moderators job? ;)

Hal - If you wanted someone to help you there is no one better than CBI Web (a member on here), he should able to help with a lot of what you are referring to.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hal I would say that the first thing you need to do is to write out a description of exactly what you want the site to do and how it will function. This description will form the basis of the requirements spec that you would give to potential developers of your site. I also agree with Grumpy that you would need to ensure that you have permission to use data from the other sites involved before you give someone the go ahead to build the site for you.

Once you have your description written I'd suggest that you look for someone to build the site for your by advertising your requirements right here in the Webmaster, Hosting & Advertising Offers & Requests section of our advertising forums and also look for a freelancer in some of the freelance sites listed in our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

Good luck with it and please do keep us updated on your thoughts, progress and questions.

7. Dan

Dan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, well for the project you would need to first get a designer to create the designer and it depends on how complex you want the site. Some people may be able to work on the back-end coding by themselves and then just have a designer make it look nice. If you look about and find the right people, you might only need two people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hal

Hal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, thanks again to all of you for your suggestions/advice.

I have done some research and talked to a few techies and found a site that attempts something very similar to what I had in mind. So I am a bit sobered up on my "unigue" idea. The site is autotempe*t . com and is what is refered to in the tech world as an "aggregator".
    So now I know at least where and how to search for competitors and that is huge leap forward.
    My idea would involve tweaking that site's layout a bit and adding a bell or whistle. So I really have to think this through some more. Especially the investment side of the project.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hal, thanks for posting back, it's great that you found out about your competitors now, certainly much better than finding out about them when you are pitching to investors or after you have launched. Keep doing the research and be sure to post back if you have any further questions.

10. HunterMiracle

HunterMiracle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My suggestion is that you start with the first web searcher - google for swish and swish-e. They have the original source code for building the index, and they have scripts for doing the searches. Take it from there so you have a solid understanding of the foundation of what you are trying to do.

11. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Hal. Frustration is also a part of business. Don't get too disappointed though, as Fergal said, good you found out about your competitor now, not when you launch. Also, this is a very common situation nowadays, there is a competitor for everything now. Just keep going and don't give up!

Good Luck!

12. ella1985

ella1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You ideas seem to em very intresting! wish you suces and let us know when site is live.

13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been looking into various scripts recently and understand your 'sobering' feelings. However, there is competition for almost everything online these days. Just because someone has something similar doesn't mean you can't find a USP. Just find the details that make you different.