Build links pointed to subpages

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sabrina, May 26, 2011.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I build links pointed to subpages, is it helpful to increase the page rankor quality of our home page?

2. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sabrina,

yes, it might be, because if the visitors find your sub page interesting, then he might think to visit the home page as well to get some other information.
    So, it's good to build links on the sub pages, but do more links on the home page.

I hope I have helped you.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, it still help but not much. However, it will help more on your inner page

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll disagree there. It's probably one of the more helpful things they can/could do.

Many of the recent algorithm changes have put less of a focus on page level metrics and far more on domain level metrics. Google look at the site as a whole, the general quality across the site, not just on that individual page. Increasing the PageRank to sub pages will increase the PageRank flowing back to the home page directly while also indirectly increasing the apparent quality of the site as a whole. If a site has a huge number of links directly to the home page but little or no linking to sub pages, it suggests that the site doesn't have much valuable content and can be a signal of unnatural linking.

So to answer the question, yes, it will help. It will directly impact the PageRank of the home page as there is more authority flowing back to the home page from the sub pages (assuming they do link back, of course) and indirectly helps by improving the positive signals across the site as a whole (the increasingly important domain level metrics).

• Like Like x 1
  5. john203

john203
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes it helps in increasing the PR of homepage in a indirect manner first the outside links increase the PR of a page and since all pages link to homepage some juice from those pages flow to the homepage too.

6. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Building backlinks to your subpages, would help increase the page rank of your sub pages. In some cases, it might help out your homepage too, like for example, a backlink sent a viewer to your site....viewer likes it and remembers your web address, and just enters your home page the next time he visits...

But normally, backlinks are created to increase the rankings of the pages it points to...If you wish to improve the PR of your homepage, then you also have to create backlinks that point to your home page....

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please read the above comments to see this isn't correct. Backlinks to the subpages will directly increase the (T)PR of the homepage through the increased link equity flowing back to the home page and indirectly help the rankings by increasing the domain level metrics for the site. While some elements of SEO can be subjective and open to opinion, this isn't one of them. This one is quite straight forward, they will help (obvious caveat around the quality of the links, if they're spammy/questionable etc. that's an entirely different matter).

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR is actually based on individual page. Let say backlink from site A point to subpage x, it is passing pr juice to subpages x. Of course as you mentioned it is directly provide pr juice to Mainpage x, but the pr juice is based on the subpage x, not the website
    A. Therefore, the pr juice from website A giving more to the subpage but not the homepage, right?

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. It's giving 'more' to the subpage in terms of PR, but it's still increasing the authority flowing back to the homepage which was the original question.

While linking to the homepage directly would pass more authority to the homepage (as you mentioned), it isn't always the best way to go (why I disagreed, slightly). If it ends up as a site with an unnatural link profile, poor domain level quality signals, no pages ranking other than the home page, etc. it's far from an ideal situation. At that level, it's starting to get into semantics and the real issue is becoming the focus on (T)PR rather than on a more holistic approach to ranking factors and focusing on the more relevant factors.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are actually putting the SERP in your consideration, and this is what the SEO people did because most the people are concern SERP more than PR. Deep link is recommended not for the PR purpose but SERP because it can provide more relevant keyword and help much on SERP/targeted traffic.

11. SteveShing

SteveShing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sigma you are right. can you tell me how many links required for home page or how many for sub pages in General ?

12. jeniffer

jeniffer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are pointing to your sub pages, definitely home page will be honored by search engines. One more fact: sub pages will never get higher PR as compare to Home page and this will force search engines to increase ranking and PR of home page of concern website. You should link targeted sub page with the home page of concern website.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Steve there is no set number of links required, the more quality links you have the better.

Sorry but that's not always true, example below;

http://www.mattcutts.com/ - PR5
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ - PR7

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are no standard. Just as I ask you how much Money required to be in property and how much to be in cash to be called as rich in general. Just choose the one which is more related, don't bother too much whether it is home page or subpage

15. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I believe this will help you pagerank because it is practically building your site to the top if you know what I mean. :D

16. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a little confused by the comment.

1. (T)PR is meaningless other than for SEO purposes. Even for SEO it's relatively meaningless due to it's outdated and inaccurate nature, but other than it's impact on SERPs (either for the site in question or its ability to pass link equity to sites it links to), it has no other relevance.
    2. The question was will deep linking help the (T)PR of the home page. The answer, 100% it will.
    3. Deep linking could, in many cases, be vital to maintaining the PR of the home page. If a site builds an unnatural link profile they greatly increase the chances of links being devalued, having penalties given and losing a huge amount of PR.
    4. Most importantly, as frequently mentioned, (T)PR is borderline irrelevant. Giving a great user experience, driving targeted traffic and increasing the rankings and conversions of pages is what counts, not (T)PR. So I'll always go away from PR on a query and instead direct users to actually focus on relevant factors.

17. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol... You are confuse just because your mind is focus on serp and you don't actually bother about pr. However, some people are still stick on pr. You are giving good advice but that's not what they are looking for. I'm a freelancer, when my client ask me to improve their pr, I gotta focus on the pr, I wouldn't get paid although I make their major keyword to rank 1. When people ask on pr, just tell them about the pr, that's all

18. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm confused by your comments, not with the query in the original post.

I answered the question relating to PageRank, that it will help increase the PR of the home page and expanded on it by outlining the additional benefits it would provide in terms of the domain as a whole and in terms of SERPs. If you wish to get pedantic and only answer the question asked, the answer is yes. The poster didn't ask if it was more or less valuable than a link directly to the home page, only if it would increase the PR of the home page.

Taking the time to explain that nobody should be fixated on PR and that it's a relatively poor measure is simply helping the community, not due to any confusion on my part. If a client is asking you to simply increase PR, fair enough, but in honesty that client is in far more need of education and information on how the system works than they are in need of PR.

19. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its good to have a homepage with categories. Choose a primary keyword and go to Google wonderwheel and see what Google says about the site structure of your website.
    Use the google wonderwheel as a way of creating nested categories and sub categories using secondary keywords.
    This way google will see that your site architecture is consistent with the primary keyword niche you selected.
    So if you are looking to convince google of your best intentions in promoting that particular keyword theme, you might as well ensure your site structure complies with how google thinks. Use wonderwheel.
    You also need to do some logical internal linking so that Google bot can traverse your site easily, so it will touch as many of your best keyword hotspots without too much fuss. Place relevant external links on pages this helps.

20. BJ_C

BJ_C
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I think this will help the SERP of your site, also your backlinks will look much more naturely.