Build a Resume Specifically for Virtual Assistant Job

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by spare change, Jun 28, 2010.

1. spare change

spare change
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I was looking at applying for a position as a virtual assistant similar to the job described here. It will be part time a few hours per day and I must have a quiet surrounding during my work time.

:$$:

(Of course) - they want a resume when I apply. I was wondering if you could help me figure out which details should be put on my resume. How shall I make it look appealing? It has been quite a while since I built a resume - I have the tools on my pc, but I want to aim/focus on impressing the people that are hiring for virtual assistant work at home jobs. Thank you so much for your time

:dunno:

2. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest include jobs/positions where you had to handle some (or majority) of these functions/responsibilities...

1. Replying to emails;
    2. Conduct of research;
    3. Organizing schedule;
    4. Live chat operator;
    5. And secretarial functions such as –
    1. Resolve customer query;
    2. Research solution for customer issues;
    3. Take care of service contract renewals and changes;
    4. Process order and order validation and price checking;
    5. Validate commission details;
    6. Check terms and conditions of contracts;
    7. Receive orders
    8. Shipping
    9. Take care of service operations

Try and be as specific as much as possible in indicating in your resume how you handled any of the functions above and don't forget to indicate how your function of these has directly contributed or helped your client or employer.

Good luck.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The primary focus of your resume will be to convince the potential employer that you are worth interviewing for the job. To achieve that, you will want to include details of your previous work experience, your education, your skills and aptitude. Include any details that will give the employer confidence that you can complete the required tasks, to a high standard.

Do you have an old resume completed, that you can update for this position?

4. Arlind

Arlind
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you really want to make serious online income VA is not the kind of job you're looking for TRUST ME ;). You should spend that time building your own sites and having an income stream on your own! Start a blog and write day and night, build links day and knight, promote day and night. It will bring much more satisfaction when you see the income than when you work for somebody else.

5. spare change

spare change
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know, but somehow I have to pay for hosting and I would love to be a secretary online! :D

6. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Look for a free hosting or ask some webmasters to host with you for a while. I'm sure someone will help you. Looking for a virtual assistant job is really hard specially if you have no experience at all. There are a lot types of virtual assistant job, some required SEO, answering & writing emails, data entry job and other webmasters stuff. What is your skill by the way?

7. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Resume is needed when you're applying for a job, however the interview stage will give you the first impression that needed to be last. :) It's not all about your CV but how you answer their questions during their interview.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum mackey.

I agree, but if your CV is not good enough you won't get to the interview stage or have the opportunity to show that you could be a valuable employee.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

spare change, I'd be happy to look it over for you once you've compiled your resume and see if I can help you. You can PM it to me when you're done if you want. Best thing you can do is go through the job requirements one by one methodically. The more tasks you can demonstrate an aptitude for and experience in, the better.

Don't be discouraged if there's some you can't! Skills can be taught. What's important is a general aptitude for the majority of tasks required and the right positive attitude. :)

I'd also suggest reading what people offering their services as VA's say about themselves and their skills.Also read more ads looking for VA's to see what clients want. You may find something in either of those you can do too and forgot to list. Good luck!