Featured: Build a better mousetrap

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, May 9, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't get all worked up when you had a great idea and found out that someone already beat you to it. Why don't you just "build a better mousetrap", so to speak. Innovation is the key!

I'll give you several examples of "better mousetraps".

1) The wheel - Imagine if no one tinkered with the stone wheel. We wouldn't have any rubber tires for cars and vehicles today.

2) David Cook - American idol top 3 contestant is being applauded for his very original and unique rendition of old songs. (I do hope he wins so I'll win a free Swensen's meal from a bet with my hubby!)

3) Google - Even with the economic downturn, Google's stock is still soaring. This is mostly due to it's ability to keep innovating. Examples are search and advertising operations like Google adwords and adsense, etc.

2. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well if somebody beats you in any kind of field then you should be inspired of him instead of being jealous. You should inspired and should work more hard and one day you will better than him

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent post Nazreen. Have you any ideas for better Internet forums?

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Better Internet forums? Hmmm... I think it still depends on your target audience. If it were me, I'd probably target the majority of internet users. Statistics show that the majority of internet users are between the age of 16-25 years old. Since most of the young generation today are into games and music, I'll probably begin a forum on these.

Take a look at World of Warcraft. When WOW launched, there were so many forums that sprung up and too many eager gamers wanting to show off their skills and their secrets. There are also a lot of gamers wanting to show off their virtual levels, golds, equipments, etc.

A good thing to remember is to be always on the lookout for new trends, in this case, new games.

5. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think that every internet forums should have a cetegory where people can take some time off, where people can have fun. Like this you get more members to visit the forum.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to add two more examples of better mouse-traps.

1) Henry Ford's Motor company - Henry Ford has revolutionized the automobile manufacturing industry by introducing the assembly line. With this, he was able to produce automobiles which are reasonably priced, reliable, and efficient.

2) Ashley Qualls' Whateverlife - Whateverlife features a steady supply of designs for MySpace pages which are free for download. Her only significant source of income is through advertising.

7. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good examples. I appreciate this. If somebody wins you or are ahead of you simple ignore them, they're not your destiny or your Ambition is not to win them but to do better in any field you go. I hate to win them who wins me presently, or are already ahead of me. I've the aim to do better in my field like in study, and by study you'll yourself cross them and go ahead of them if you focus on your field only and you never have to say I've to cross them to get my position back.

#7 DEADMAN, May 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  8. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah it is write. Sometimes if you offering everything free, then might also you will be able to earn money. Ever imagined how much phpbb would be earning:p

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's important to remember that your target visitor might not be actually looking for your product. He might have just chanced on your website because he might be looking for a related product. So it's very important to offer him something special or something free to keep him glued to your website. Remember that the word FREE, will hypnotize anyone and attracts anyone's attention to your website.

I'm actually planning on using this same marketing strategy on my website. :)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A free professional financial consultation maybe?

11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal, most Financial Adviser (FA) Singapore already provide free financial planning. But other's are not as complete and as detailed though. Other FA's just push their life insurance or term plans but I don't want to be that kind of FA. I need to get that across including the quality of service I provide.

I must build a "better mousetrap" when designing my site. Maybe just like Motley Fool website providing FREE report but not really giving you which stock to invest in until you buy that from them.

12. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good idea, Nazreen. I hope your mousetrap works better for your website. Glad to know you get Free financial planning in Singapore
    All the best for your website!

13. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very true.

However if the idea is new, and made and launched properly. You will never ever beat it. You will rise to a good level. However never beat it.

Unless your smart like Google.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm afraid that I disagree with you on this one BlueEew. If your business is a small upstart company, it might be almost impossible to beat a very big organization when you're in the same line of business. It's almost impossible but not impossible. There are some cases like this in the past where small organizations topple down the big ones. Through dedication, hard work and innovation, these small businesses were able to compete with the big businesses.

"Impossible" and "never" are some of the negative words that I try to avoid because they inhibits or holds back our progress and improvement. :)

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Small businesses can beat much larger competitors by focusing on a specific market niche. By providing excellent products or services tailored to a specific niche, small companies serve the customers within that niche more effectively than a larger company with a much broader customer base.

16. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not a impossible thing, many larger companies starts with small investment and general ideas, there is no such large companies that is established directly. I mean to say the person who may start this larger company have raised from small investment or companies. I mean there is no way you can go to Large directly, it takes time from smaller to larger. So, exactly not impossible, but harder because larger companies have alot of source for marketing while the small companies may have to increase their products/sales or have to develop new plans and improve in order to go forth or beat which you talked about.

17. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your idea Nazreen. Build a Mousetrap before others get front before you.

From the definition of Mousetrap, we can know that we can get to our goal primarily if we have a mousetrap and It's better to build a mousetrap, so you won't get dissapointed when someone beats you and you don't even know about that and you won't feel good when you get the news. So it's better to plan everthing before (primarily).

And a mousetrap doesn't mean it traps one mouse but other small animals too. Who knows you can get a better thing while trapping your goal from a mouse trap.

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Building a better mousetrap is all about innovation. It doesn't just apply to products and companies though. It can also apply to ourselves. If you want to be successful at work in a particular field, you must distinguish yourself from others. If all the others are already doing their jobs one way, then you should pursue other and more efficient ways to do your job. If you always follow the tread of other people, then you'll just be going where they are going.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen reminded me a quote that I prefer most:
    I hope this quotes explains itself what a Successful person should look forward for his/her work. Putting many ideas at implementation won't help you go forward, but doing your best ideas differently may provide you good luck. So, never attempt many things, but attempt a thing is different ways.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent point Nazreen, one way that you can distinguish yourself from others is by having a useful and complimentary skill. E.g. if you know your core job inside out and also have a good IT knowledge you will become the person in your team that your company turns to when they have IT related issues.