Bring business to an new level or improve it or etc.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by cysklement, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cysklement

cysklement
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I had graduated from HIGH school diploma in IT. Now, I am working as a technician for a company. The boss is quite nice to me. But about the work, I could say it's sometimes dull. Sometimes, I don't have IT work to do. Most of our IT work comes from tender. If we got that tender, we got business to do if not, there's nothing to do.

But I had the inspiration that I would like to bring the business to another level. However, I just don't know what to do. I would like to seek advice on how to improve a business productivity or sales or performance or etc.

Or perhaps, I am not a business kind of person :(

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum cysklement, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

Do you want to improve business in your employer's company or do you want to start a business of your own?

What type of work do you personally most enjoy doing, is it IT work or business?

3. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Cysklement

In fact you are a business kind of person. The thoughts about the business you are working in that you have been thinking about, the type of question you have asked, and the trouble that you have gone through to join a business forum, actually shows that you are a business kind of person. You see a problem- there is a part of the business that is stuck, and you have started thinking about how it can get unstuck so that it can deliver greater value. That is the essence of an entrepreneur! An soon as an entrepreneur has developed a vision in his mind of a new, better outcome, he identifies points of change that will tip the system he is working in to go onto this new path. An Entrepreneur plays this role of change agent by seeking and recognizing an opportunity that can serve that mission, then engages in a process of continuous innovation, adaption and learning, starts acting boldly without being limited by resources currently in hand, and exhibits a heightened sense of accountability to those served cause and for the outcome created.

So you do have entrepreneurial essence in you! The inspiration you spoke of is it! It however is a learning curve, a good one, and you have started the first steps on this journey! May it turn out a wonderful one for you!

I recognise what you are talking about because something quite similar happened to me. At one stage I was also just working in a business, focusing only on doing my job well. The business owner and I got along quite well and he slowly started implementing some of my suggestions. (I had done a brilliant business course!) Slowly, without my even planning to do so, he became more and more reliant on my feedback and slowly I was put into situations where more management was required till eventually I ran the business for him. He was looking for a way out, and couldn't give it all his attention. One day he asked me if I want to buy the business. Up untill that time I hadn't thought about that- becoming an owner! So in the end I did buy the business with no money down (at that stage I didn't even have assets). I bought it because I had a brilliant plan to grow it, and at that stage I wanted to use the leverage I could gain to propel me into being able to deliver an outcome that I could use to realise my dream!

Just as I had to learn many things with regards to business, so too you will be faced with many challenges on this path of growth! But your real question are you a business kind of person or not, yes you are! You just need to keep on acting boldly, slowly and softly talking about your ideas when you find something. And if the current owner is not happy with this, use what you can learn about business in the one you are now, and think about how you can start one of your own. What services you can deliver that will create a high value (big solutions), so that people wouldn't mind parting with their money to obtain what you offer.

In the meantime do as much as you can to improve your business skills.(There a a lot, especially in starting up, ex selling skills, influencing skills, marketing skills, making money from nothing etc). Do the courses you can find in your area, but be very picky about who you learn from. There are more people out there who teach a lot without applied knowledge. Also read as much as you can about business. Especially the stories of small business men and women. Even go talk to those in your area. Business men seldom don't want to talk about how they made it. Just keep on asking till you find the pattern that you can step in. Write down what you learn from the mistakes you see around you. You will soon know exactly what your next step will be!