Boyfriend owns the company, what rights do I have?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by littlemissspain, Jan 21, 2013.

1. littlemissspain

littlemissspain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice. Together my boyfriend and I have a very busy bar in Spain. I say together, it is infact his and his name is on the whole thing but for the last three years, since we have been together, I run it. I do all the rotas, staff wages, places the orders, sort the invoices etc. It's fine & I enjoy it but coming up to another summer in which we will be very busy, I can not put my all into this any more unless I have a little security. I am thinking of making an agreement with my boyfriend, in which we go to a lawyer with a sort of 'pre-nup' agreeing that I am entitled to half of profits made from the date three years ago. I am asking you advice, on what I should be asking for? I just can't put all my time and effort into something from which if I was to split with my boyfriend, I'd come out with nothing. I take no wages, we live together, pay the bills & when money's there we use it.

Let me know what you think!

Little Miss Spain
    :confused:

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have no righgt as far as i know. Unless both of you have a written agreement. I'm not a lawyer though so consult one :D

3. littlemissspain

littlemissspain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know I have no right, hence the reason I am saying about getting a written agreement. I am considering what to ask for in the agreement, and your advice on this.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Little Miss Spain

let me be very frank on this.. Your Boyfriend is the real owner and you can not claim any profits of three years... Since you have devoted your three years in the bar out of your love and affection towards your boyfriend...

After three years if you think that situation is otherwise, quit now or make rightful demand in the form of fixed wages..
    In return you got a decent lifestyle and experience.

In blood relations also people these things are not taken the way you have thought..

On the other side if you think otherwise, discuss this issue with your boyfriend because it is already too late to open your eyes to real WORLDLY PEOPLE...TC

6. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Little Miss Spain,

You need to seek legal counsel in your local area. The laws of your area are likely to be different than the laws of countries where people on this forum live. Contact a local lawyer privately. Meet with him or her and discuss your situation. They will tell you what the right thing is to do and also what you need to do for it to be upheld in court. That is what really matters.

My personal opinion is that you should be seeking an ownership equity in the business where you become part owner. I would not try to recover anything from the previous 3 years unless your lawyer says otherwise. I would focus on your future going forward from here.

This situation is probably also going to prompt a heart to heart talk with your boyfriend. Tactfully and gracefully, try to find out whether he intends to put a ring on your finger sometime soon or not. If you have been together this long, it is only right that you should be thinking about this. It is only common sense that he should not expect you to just continue working for free indefinitely without any definite future. I am not trying to suggest that you force a marriage. That would be a bad idea. I think the question is going to come up though as soon as you tell him you want equity in the business. So be prepared to discuss it and make sure you think about it before approaching him about the equity stake.