Bounce Rate and google penality

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by asad, Jul 2, 2012.

1. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there any link between bounce rate and Google penalty.

How much chances of a website to be penalized if bounce rate is 85%+ in how much duration

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If your website has a bounce rate of 85%+, Google penalties are not your only problem. Since Google wants to provide the best results to a searcher's query, bounce rate is going to be a factor. But, you need to ask yourself, "Why is the bounce rate so high?". Are you targeting the wrong phrases, and when people get to your site, they immediately discover you are not what they are looking for? Could the website itself be poorly designed, and a visitor's first impression is not favorable? Whether or not Google is penalizing you, you need to find out why the bounce rate is so high, and get it fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only way to reduce your bounce rate is to provide the right content, information and landing pages for users visiting and landing your website. As far as G penalties are concerned, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get penalized due to a high bounce rate. There are actually several considerations first before G penalizes a website.

4. carrotdogs

carrotdogs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How will Google know a site's BR if you don't have the analytics code installed? Either way, 85% is very high, you might need to make some onsite changes, add more/better content, add a call to action, improve site layout etc.

5. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google or any other search engine doesn't care about bounce rate. How would they know anyway, unless you got Analytics installed. Not everyone has it (probably most). Besides, once the engine's job of showing what they believe is the best listing for the query entered, their job is done. It's not about who stays longer on a site or if they visit your other pages, it's about showing the most relevant results as far as they're concerned.

You must understand bounce rate. It's simply the percentage of visitors who come to a page and don't visit any other page. If all you have is a one-page site, your bounce rate will be 100% and that's nothing to worry about. You know they'll eventually have to leave. If you have many other pages, then bounce rate could be an indication they are not interested in your site. But ask yourself, if you are looking for something in particular, how many times do you visit the rest of a site? Most of my queries and pages I visit, I very seldom go to other pages. If I need a regulator for my air compressor for example, I might click two or three results and buy from the one I feel gives me the best value. That site will show that I visited other pages (the checkout) and the others that I bounced away. What you have to ask yourself is why I didn't buy from you. And if I did buy from you, you've done your job. You won't care about bounce rate or how long I spent on your site to do so.

6. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all to write their views. Google's main concern is, a website should be for users not for search engines. Here is an example.

I am running e.g a telephone directory in which all famous telephone numbers of persons , places and institutes listed. When some one search a telephone number like

personname telephone/cell number, he comes to my site of that persons page. where he find its number in front of him. He just copies that number and go away. So he donot visit any other page or website as he has taken his information. So bounce rate is high.

So what you people expect that google will put penalty due to its bounce rate factor.

Regards

7. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I have very low bounce rate but I don't get any penalty by Google from the last 6 months. I have a blog related to blogging have very low bounce rate but working well.

8. Jacob_Thompson

Jacob_Thompson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before Google was not considering bounce rate as an important factor. After recent updates if the bounce rate of the site is high, there may chance for the site to rank down in Google SERPs as Google may think that the site is not important for users.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I doubt that google will penalize the website with high bounce rate. When the user searching for the information, they immediately get what they want by just entering the website, then they leave. It means that the website is providing related and informative source.

As I know wikipedia have very high bounce rate as well

10. amitmax

amitmax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes ofcourse,now a days,Google is using it as a search engine ranking signal and removing those websites from top rank have high bounce rate.So really,now every webmaster should tale care of bounce rate of his website.

11. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll have to agree with sigma with this one. Bounce Rates isn't much a factor in penalties. Although it is a factor in ranking along with 200 signals. The thing about bounce rate is it depends on your website. If your website is informational like Wikipedia, a searcher can stay and read more but if they found what they are looking for right away they can exit hence the higher bounce. Let us think that visitors isn't really the one to read long articles unless it interest them. Most internet users just skim through the pages and find those key points they need.

12. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with. Previously bounce rate was not much considered but due to recent algorithm update Bounce rate is also a factor in SERP. If your bounce rate is high than there may be two possibilities either your page is not relevant to keyword/phrases or your site is not user friendly. In both cases you're disobeying Google quality guidelines,therefore I think there is a link between Bounce rate and Google Penalty. If your site is ranking for low quality/competitive than there is less chance of penalty. But you are site is ranking for high competitive keyword than definatley you will be penalized by either algorithm update or manual update.