Boosting the signal

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by mysandyda, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a question. If I need to improve the signal of my mobile phone, for example, when I'm far from the transmitting tower and the signal is very weak, can I do it externally? can I use something to make the signal stronger?

2. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do it externally by installing in the building a special device - signal amplifier (http://www.myamplifiers.com/). It can improve the signal considerably and make it strong. Moreover, it can cover large spaces.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

That is definitely possible with a signal amplifier as posted above. But, I'm not sure to what range they'll work. Also coverage from your network provider is normally nation-wide, so I don't see what the big problem with weak signal would be.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not an area I've any specific knowledge on, but as far as I'm aware many/most of those signal amplifiers are illegal?

They broadcast the amplified signal on what are restricted bands (again, the specifics will depend on your location, I know here in Ireland they certainly are illegal and I'd assume they are in many jurisdictions) and, should you end up causing interference for other users on that band, could end you up in quite a lot of hot water. Do take care if you intend on going down that route.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, you can. The common way is to upgrade your antenna. A few cell phone manufacturers make a "Hi-gain" antenna for their handsets, which may be changed in-store or by the user at home. Although these won’t improve signal as much (or at all) as a repeater these antennas are relatively inexpensive and you are not confined to one location.

Or use Wi-Fi as your cell phone signal. Make calls and connect to internet from your phone as normally you would. If your mobile phone supports UMA, you can use the wi-fi as your cellphone signal where you don't get GSM signal coverage or areas with poor coverage. Not all devices and carriers support UMA calls. There are some blackberry and androids and few other phones that support.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jiashia

jiashia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes external antenna will fix although it is not mobile solution, you may just try other phone model, usually some have more signal sensibility

7. pauldave11

pauldave11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with you. External antena is not the proper solution. We need to change our phone model to get better signal results.

8. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The sim which you are using,call the customer care and ask them for extra tower or networks,they will provide you the facility with extra network.