Blogger or Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by dahlia84, May 6, 2008.

1. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you own a blog? If you do, are they on blogger or wordpress?

Talking about myself, I own a blog which I hosted on my own domain. The blogging software I use is wordpress. I would suggest, if you are not gonna host your blog on your own host/domain, stick with Blogger as it has lots of widgets. But for those who are hosting the blogs on their own host and domain, wordpress is the best! It is easily amendable and so flexible enough with wide range of awesome plug-ins with zillions of free cool themes aswell!

I just love wordpress! What blogging software are you into?

PS: I have heard some of my mates saying, blogger blogs gets indexed by Google sooner than the wordpress ones! Not sure how far it is true though!

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A person could go all advanced and use a full CMS, like Joomla, and have a all sorts of things to use, but, for basic blogging, WP does do its job well.

And

Welcome to the forum dahlia84, good first post too.

Since blogger is owned by G it is easier for them to do, but they do not do it automatically. I have a blog with a few posts I update twice each week and it has never been indexed, but, I have never submitted it either. It has been around for 7 weeks now and nothing. Next week the test ends.

#2 pendelton, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi dahlia84, welcome to Business Advice Forum. I find Wordpress most convenient. The installation is simple if you have cPanel hosting with Fantastico. It is also very easy to install new themes and there are a huge amount of Wordpress themes available, allowing you to get a blog up and running with a design you like, very quickly and easily. Wordpress is my preferred choice as I have my own domains and hosting.

I've also used Blogger when I wanted to do a quick job without my own domain or hosting. Again it is very easy to set up. But you don't have your own domain so you may not feel that the blog is really yours and you have limited control over it.

4. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah, you have to agree with Fergal that in Blogger you don't have full control of your blog so you can't do anything you like. I will also advice you to use wordpress. Wordpress has alot of different good themes unlike blogger.

5. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

:D pendelton. You want the cake to be baked with no incredigents or the oven either? Tooooo bad Lol

6. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, it was a test. Someone told me that G index blogger blogs automatically, and I told them that they did not. So far I have been correct, they do not just list them because they own them.

Like I said, the test ends in a few days and then I'll submit it, to see how long it takes. I have four blogs I am doing this with, too see how long each takes to get indexed and all that. I have never seen hard figures for this kind of test, and for people new to the net this could be useful information.

I truly do wish, at times, I could eat my cake and have it too.

7. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol Okay! To get your site indexed by Google, Create a Sitemap.xml file and Submit it to the Google webmasters tools. My site got indexed the 2nd day from when I submitted that. You can search for some free online valid Sitemap generators.
    I used http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

If in case you are at blogger, use the atom.xml feed as your sitemap!

Also keeping your site W3C valid matters in getting indexed sooner I guess!

8. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would go wit Wordpress. They are a great software. Also you get a lot more deatures and room to do new things when owning your own blog.