Blekko Slash the Web, Search Engine

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I just came across Blekko today, they are an innovative search engine that has not been released to the public yet. They talk about how they will use slash tags to allow you to search more specifically for the content you are looking for. For example a search for "Cats / humour" will only bring up funny pages about cats.

You can view their intro video here.

The video looks great, but honestly it's hard to imagine how they will survive competing against Google. What's your opinion?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that Google have already used that "slash tags" so I think it's their best selling point at this time.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wasn't aware of that GekiDan, do you by any chance have a link to a page or site with more info on how to use slash tags in Google?

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You missed the important bit there Fergal :p

It's an interesting approach, but one I'm not sure will appeal to a large target market (or at least one that hasn't been taken up in the past). The release of google instant shows that their aim is to make searching less user specific and more 'user friendly' (for want of a better term).

There is very little use of the existing search operators, I'm always surprised at the disbelief of some when using something as simple as "site:businessadviceforum.com" or "allinurl:" operators in a search query.

I'd love to see some serious competition for the big G, I'm just not sure if this 'USP' will allow blekko to be that competition.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Paul, silly me :eek:

Perhaps the serious competition to Google will come from a social bookmarking or social networking site such as FaceBook as discussed here.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. Facebook is now considered as the biggest competition or threat to Google.
    It is because people tend to frequently visit social networking sites than Google. :p

7. Sabir

Sabir
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that even if Blekko did release this, and it was popular - surely Google would just implement it into their own search engine soon enough? and since they are already so well established they'll be able to do it for much cheaper and market it on a much larger scale ...

I think in the Facebook vs. Google argument - I would say that Google does have one advantage in that it is a search engine, and so when people use it they do so to find out new information, they are not focussing on anything in particular (or at least they don't know exactly what they should be focusing on), and this makes them more susceptable to the powers of advertising (which is obviously the real money-maker) ...
    whereas with Facebook, although people do use it more often, they do so for a specific reason. They log onto Facebook to speak to particular friends and pass particular messages, and this means there's a certain focus there, and this will make them less prone to distraction and advertisement.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I tend to agree with that. It's difficult to imagine how anyone could compete with the huge amount of expertise and experience that Google have. Google employ the best IT people and no one knows search better than them. This represents a very significant entry barrier for anyone considering entering that industry.

9. Sabir

Sabir
    uix_expand uix_collapse

very true. For me personally, and I dont know if anyone would agree, but Google are like the corporation of the future. The bastard child of globalisations collision and subsequent consumation with the digital age, a monolithic beast residing over the global market. Haha, maybe that's taking it a bit far, but which other corporation could buy out a huge-loss making entity like YouTube, and then treat it as a side project, something to do on sundays?? Of course they did pump money and attention into YouTube, but they took it on expecting to make a huge loss regardless.

(Of course, there is another you could mention - Miscrosoft - but Microsoft as a brand, I feel, has a discernable character, and a distinctly American one at that. What with Bill Gates' public profile etc. Google as a corporation does not have this distinguishable persona).

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sabir I agree with you that Google expected YouTube to make a loss for some time, when they took it over. However, I'm sure that their plan is to make a profit from it, in the longer term. Google have introduced new ad formats to YouTube videos, this will have increased its revenue and reduced the losses.

11. Sabir

Sabir
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, definitely. But I still feel that they could have done more to push it, especially at a time when so many competitors are surfacing - YouTube could really have done with that push.

Maybe I just have a biased opinion of the people at Google, I imagine them rolling around in vaults of money! haha