Black and White SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by RestOwner, Dec 10, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've heard Black and White SEO, what does this mean and the difference of it?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Black Hat SEO refers to underhand methods used to trick the search engines into ranking a web page higher than it deserves to be ranked. It includes methods such as cloaking, keyword stuffing and scraping content from other sites on the web.

White Hat SEO is the legitimate process used to improve a site's search engine rankings and includes methods such as building quality back links and publishing quality content on the site.

Does that answer your question?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, there's nothing to add since Fergal already, pretty much reeled it in! :thumbsup:

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

something i have to add though.
    don't go black for you can't go back especially if your accounts such as adsense will be banned :D

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just want to add that black or white SEO methods are not illegal through law, however, they are frowned upon by search engines, if they catch you.

6. David Messi

David Messi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is all about short term vs long term results, although the issue is still a hot debate, with the black hat seo argument being that you can easily spam your competitors' links to get them banned etc etc.

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When it comes to SEO you have to admit the fact that Google is not only the Law of SEO but you can also say that google is the God of SEO because you know that most of the traffic will come from google to your site so you should consider the black hat and white hat as a Laws of SEO defined by the Google.

Most of the people don't like the division of the techniques of SEO into black and white hat but I consider them right as it supports the organic SEO that means less spam and more legitimacy.

8. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

White hat is no tricks, just solid HTML, CSS, JS, SQL. Black hat is simply manipulating the search engine results pages using a number of methods including:
    - hidden text and hidden links;
    - cloaking - described above as showing one page version to engines and another version to real users;
    - taking part in link schemes, especially automated;
    - using doorway pages, i.e. pages built only to set up a cookie on user's computer

9. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Regardless of what is evident, Google does not create laws of the World Wide Web. Maybe tomorrow Google will suddenly fail, or some revolt could happen within Google causing worldwide issues. Also, say if Facebook uses black hat techniques and loses all search engine spots, it would not fault because it does not rely on "search engines" as the primary source of traffic (educated guess). Direct traffic from the web browser or bookmarks would most likely be the main source and so it would not need to follow any Google guideline.

Internet Explorer being the dominant browser for 5-10 years, it had changed as the WWW changed, so likewise with Google, will it be the dominant search engine as Web 3.0 comes closer to reality? They both have similar market shares, so anything could happen. The FireFox of search engines could be right around the corner. Everything has an asymptotic point.

Plus, Social Media Marketing is on the rise, and may take over from SEO. Then social mediums may become more dominant than search engines, or they will be the next main form of integrated search engine. Again, everything has an asymptotic point.

10. Monc

Monc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think White SEO much better´╝ü

11. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@DavidL : These are all assumptions but right now the Google is dominant and this is reality, I agree that facebook can divert a lot of traffic to your site but similarly can you ignore youtube? I don't think so... and youtube is also powered by Google so youcan't just ignore the power of Google

12. Kaiser

Kaiser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

White hat SEO all the way, in the long run the white hats always succeed. If you want to improve your SEO do it in a legit way.

13. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly this is what I was trying to say

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. You can't. But if you don't know how to optimize your YouTube videos, you'll get low amount of visitors from it...

15. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

YouTube was diverting traffic long before Google bought YouTube, so that's probably not the best example for a valid assumption. Reality or not, you have to consider what's beyond tomorrow. Who would have thought a microchip could store more information than a building full of servers? Because people have thought beyond reality, there have been newer possibilities far beyond what we have now. If no one ever thought beyond reality, there may have not been a Google, and we'd still be par with the Tim Berners-Lee era of the World Wide Web.

Also, my comment on Social Media rising against SEO is not an assumption; it's reality. Even Matt Cutts from Google has understood this, although he personally felt SEO would just be on top of SMO.

16. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But how would you guide beginner? you tell him about the future after he understand present because if he does not understand what is present he can't understand future and one thing more present is still reality but the future is mystery

17. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never said to ignore reality; I said to consider the logical possibilities and look at the way major search engines (for SEO) compared to its rival search methods (SMO) go against each other. Of course telling a beginner about SEO is logical and important, but you should also tell a beginner about SMO and Web 3.0 as they are both on the rise.