big potential, small cash reserve, no trademarks...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mgt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mgt

mgt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a great business name, the web domains I need (including the perfect 5-letter abbreviation; fits like a glove; extremely marketable), two beautiful logos, great phone number, cool website layout and great business cards…. I'm in a prime location of a big market…the name has regional ties but nobody outside the area would ever know that, so it's marketable everywhere… The name would've been politically incorrect 300 years ago (if there was such a thing back then) and I'm confident that politically incorrect logos will help our cause.

-Starting out with novelties, antiques, books, art, poker supplies, electronics and some office furniture….plus all the high end consignment items the business can handle. I wanted to open a retail store but am content running an online business for now…meeting most of the customers at landmarks I like to use and shipping when necessary.

Dec '11 - registered domain name of full business name (.com and .net)
    Jan '12 - registered abbreviated domain (.com & .net)
    Feb '12 - logo development
    March '12 - around the time I placed both logos on our website for the first time
    May-June '12 - ordered business cards under business name from another local company
    June '12 - had friend/partner create ebay account with my domain name and number '2' after it....with the company logo in the profile...I made one sale for around $30 and decided not to sell on ebay any more.

When I rent my first billboard, the website should get a ton of hits…. I plan to get a business license this week and do that. I've got 4 domain names and two logos so far. But am seriously petrified...wondering how many trademarks I need, how much money it will cost me...if getting the business license is a mistake because I don't have trademarks...

I just spent most of my cash reserves building 24x20 garage in my back yard...starting inventory is worth about $100,000

#1 mgt, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum mgt.

What state or country is your business based in?

3. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Worry about the business, not the trademarks... I'm guessing your in the United States. The USPTO has this to say (http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/register.jsp):

Is registration of my mark required?
    No. You can establish rights in a mark based on legitimate use of the mark. However, owning a federal trademark registration on the Principal Register provides several advantages. -- it goes on to explain them.

Registration helps in case someone wants to use the name but you need a working business as registration requires you actually use the mark.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mgt

mgt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm in the USA, south of the Mason-Dixie line.

It sounds like if I can't prove I used the mark until recently, then any loser in the logo contest 10 months ago could have registered a trademark (I haven't checked in months to see if any were registered) and they could pursue legal action against me down the road. Let's see....Yahoo keeps backups of my site for 4 weeks I think. Maybe 8 weeks. So 8 weeks ago is the earliest I can prove that I had the logos on my website and intended to use them for business...

I forgot to mention I registered state and federal tax ID#s around May '12 but that probably doesn't matter because the tax man hasn't gotten paid a dime yet.....

I probably created future Fortune 500 company for some college kid who borrows his tuition money.... A girl from the logo contest did steal the twitter handle and I'm not feeling too lucky...

Hopefully I'll be able to post a link here one day but I've learned too many things through trial and error and would want to kill myself if I lost rights to all this.

#4 mgt, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013