Beware !!Think before you compete

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by scifi, Sep 17, 2009.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey friends..I came across a new thing which is surely new for me ..so thought of sharing with you all...What you will do to increase your market share when there are too many players in the market...The obvious is that you will try to beat out your competitor by employing various strategies...
    But now here is an article on lessons to learn from intel..which states that you have to be careful that your competition strategy is not offensive as per the law of your nation...'
    read full article to get more insight..

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's always positive to see the authorities take serious action against multi-national corporations that act in an uncompetitive way. If anti-trust laws were not enforced it would be practically impossible for new businesses to compete and survive in the marketplace.

3. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good article to learn a very good lesson. I also believe healthy competition in business arena is a must for a healthy economy.

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Intel story is not over yet and they will continue to fight the EU over this fine. If they win and get anything back, even just $10, it will be the EU that suffers more. Intel are (maybe have) lodged a complaint against the EU regarding their human rights. This fight could get very interesting over the next few years.

I won't say Intel did the right thing or the wrong thing in this particular case, but we (the citizens of the world) are a very prickly race. We spend years praising a company for a business model or for being successful. As soon as they get what we consider to be "too" big we spend the rest of the time moaning about how they do business and how unfair it is. Another example of this is Tesco in the UK. They have spent years building up a fantastic business, yet we now find pleasure in saying how unfair it is that they are so big and can bully the smaller chains.

I agree 100% that every business area needs healthy competition to deliver better service for its market, but at the same time a successful business should not be penalised for the failure of its competitors to keep up.

Sean

5. ZakShow

ZakShow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is how things have to work.. Big multi-national corporations that act in an uncompetitive way that don't allow and make it very hard to new and small businesses to compete. Someone has to do something about it and thanks GOD that there are some people that care about these things!!

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very good point Steve. It can be easy to knock corporate giants, but we shouldn't underestimate their positive impact either. Intel employ approximately 5,000 people in Ireland. This is a hugely significant contribution to our economy and they are all quality jobs.

In addition to the 5,000 people who work directly for Intel in Ireland, there are lots of spin off jobs in companies who supply and support Intel here. Plus those 5,000 wage packets buy a lot of other goods and services, from large and small businesses and pay off thousands of mortgages every month. If those jobs were lost the government would lose huge tax revenue and have to make social welfare payments to an additional 5,000 people every week. The devastating impact that this could have on the economy, doesn't even bear thinking about.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well some great points here and I think I have missed a lot of them..Exactly true just because someone is BIG & big thing is relatively easy to target, everyone goes on hunting for them....Competition in a market place is very obvious phenomena rather..In this world of terrible competition one can not take quick decisions on what is right & what is wrong on their part due to the application of a particular strategy...So it should be considered that thing is right until it is legal....