BEWARE! Paypal Phishing Emails

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by GekiDan, May 26, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have recently received an email with subject "Account Frozen" from "PayPal Inc." I just felt nervous since I just finished a transaction and transferred some amount to my bank account.

But when I look at the mail, the header says "Dear Paypal Customer'. It also includes a link that doesn't lead to Paypal site. That's when I felt relieved and found out its a phishing mail.

Here's the mail:
    I have also reported and forwarded the email to [email protected]
    I think this is a new phishing schemes from hackers.

So guys, beware and be careful if you receive such emails.

For more Paypal security tips and fraud prevention, you can visit this link: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fraud-prevention-outside

2. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there are going to be times when you will receive these type of phishing emails that are NOT from Paypal. Especially, when your account starts to build up with transactions. That's great that you caught it in time and reported it.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the headsup. I too always report these kinds of things to their Security Center. I also go to the PayPal site direct anytime I want to be there by typing the URL in my address bar every time. Better safe than sorry.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Besides, the email that was sent was nothing similar to the emails I frequently received from Paypal.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

link shoud have at least "s" as https://

6. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never click links in emails unless they are confirmation links for a forum i just signed up for. Anything relating to PayPal i always go to the PayPal site.

If you have any doubts over an email don't click anything. Checking the email headers can give information on if it is real or not along with looking if they put your full name in it, if the email contains spelling mistakes or bad english. PayPal emails have your full name on it and contains no spelling mistakes. I have seen some phishing emails with absolutely terrible english in it that makes me wonder why anyone fools for it.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, even confirmation links, I never click them.
    All I do is copy the link and paste it on a new window.
    Better safe than sorry. :D

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This kind of spam mail not only happen on paypal but also our bank and some other improtant / mone related account. So, to avoid any problem, never click on the link provided, always open new windows and manually key in the URL of the site, then log in to confirm whether the news/information is true or not

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I remember there are times when I receive a mail allegedly from Liberty Reserve.
    I didn't even have that kind of account. :p