Best & Worst

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by houstonVijai, Mar 1, 2010.

1. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just thought of this topic which might help everybody by sharing each others experience.

What is your best and worst advice for any business owner in regards to creating/making website?

Let your words speak your experience.. Roll in your best and worst (Only 1 for each item).

It will surely help to learn from others experience and avoid mistakes. Don't have invent the wheel again right!!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Best advice - don't use Flash.

Worst advice, something you should not do - automatically go for the cheapest designer.

3. Michael

Michael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think before they go to a designer they should have a good idea of what exactly they are looking for and have a solid brief. If new features etc. crop up later that weren't in the initial brief it can increase the budget of the project!

4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best advice would be Go for dedicated Webhosting, Get a .com domain than other alternatives.

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best Advice: If you run an offline business make sure your website represents your company properly and don't go the cheap route (currently having mine redesigned by a pro and can't wait to launch it).

Worst Advice: Use a free package.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't think that's true in all cases. There are many beautiful sites built on WordPress.

7. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, but if you really want to make the best of WP (if using for a business and not a blog) then you usually need some amendments or add-on that cost. I guess it depends on your web skills.

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal,

I think sean meant more about yahoo builder or site builders which is provided by hosting companies which doesn't provide lot of flexibility. SOme people just want to venture and try it out and build their own site using those tools and end up just wasting time.

It is better to pay $300 or something to get a decent website up and running few weeks than spending hours to figure out themselves. If you have lot of time in hand, it is good to learn and build but if not its waste of time. One should be find what they can do efficiently in their time using the skill they know than trying to learn something new which they can get it done cheap. Nobody really estimates the cost of time. Thats the problem.