Best Way To Get and Keep Users

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JamesD31, Apr 25, 2010.

1. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My website, http://www.gamingallnight.com, is almost complete. I need to fine tune a few things, but that is about it. Though, what is the best way to actually promote my website and keep the users there? I also want to make the forums more active to make it into a semi development forums.

I know a lot of information, especially with coding and web design, yet the exchanges I do don't provdie me with active users yet. I get posts, yet it goes dead for a few days, even if I keep posting about recent news and such. Any ideas?

I have some innovative ideas, but I mean my website has over 700 Free Flash Games and about 35+ PC Games for Download and will be adding Mobile games soon. Also, I add a LOT of new games everyday to the website.

2. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kudos to you for asking the right questions. I would say that keeping users is the big question that you partially need to answer for yourself. Getting users is a piece of cake in comparison to keeping users, but it is the difference that will make or break you.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

James a good first step might be to look at competing sites and see what they are doing to maintain members and make their sites more sticky. Perhaps you could get ideas from what they are doing, improve on what they are doing and then apply it to your own site.

Another approach would be to post some research questions on relevant gaming discussion forums. Ask the site members what gaming sites they like, why they like them and what makes them a fan of particular sites.

Contests might also work for you. Maybe you could run contests for members that play or win the most games. You wouldn't necessarily need to give prizes that cost you money. Recognizing someone as gamer of the week and / or giving them extra membership benefits on your site, could prove to be a strong motivation for your members.

Good luck with it!

P.s. you are welcome to start promoting your site for free in our Free Advertising Forums and in your signature here on Business Advice Forum.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can advertise on related sites or blogs like entertainment, technology, computer, and especially, gaming niches. This way, you can get more internet visibility.

But when it comes to keeping users, you can upload more games and update it regularly with new games.

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting users and keeping them are two different things. Getting them is all about promotion of the site in areas that your target audience is going to be.. I would assume facebook is a good place to capture these people. Keeping them will need good content that is always being updated, the same as every other website really.

6. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advice guys. I do add content regularly. There are a few bugs, since the website is still in what I wanna say it's beta phase. Though, everything works out great, and I think the website has a great layout and such (a lot better than a lot of the big arcade site giants now). There is one great new feature I want to add, yet can't find a 3D artist to help me out. Does anyone know of any great places to look for exceptional 3D artists? I mean, I tried, but I am not an artist, just general Photoshop graphics designer haha.

Though, with that idea I have in mind, that will probably keep people coming back for more. Though, I will be posting more on ninche, gaming forums, as I think that is a great idea. I do have over 1k unique + 20k page views this month (so far) and the website's only been up almost 2 months now. Which is better than any of my other websites, ever really.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

James you could use some of the freelance sites listed in our our Useful Online Business Resources thread to find the 3D artist you need. Most of those sites provide feedback from previous users of the relevant freelancer's services and this helps you greatly to pick the right person for the job. You could also advertise for someone in the Member Ads section of our Free Advertising Forums.

8. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The thing is, I don't have any money to be spending on hiring someone for a job =/ I of course will love to provide some type of payment as soon as I can or in another form. Though, the people on those sites are usually not interested in non-money form of payments.

9. BanneyHill

BanneyHill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is not so easy to keep your customers regular that's why the customers are the main part of any business and by giving all the benefits and facilities to them everyone tries to keep them regular.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3D design is a high level skill and it will be difficult to find someone who will do it, without getting paid for their time. However, designers are not as busy now as they were a few years ago, so you should be able to get someone at a reasonable cost.

If you can't afford to pay someone, perhaps you have something you can trade in return for the design you need. Do you have a skill that you can offer in return? Perhaps there is a 3D designer out there, who would love to have a website to showcase their work and would be happy to do some design in exchange for that. Maybe you could offer some advertising space on your site or something else such as hosting space. There is a solution, it's just a matter of finding it.

11. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I don't really need a "3D" designer, it will be of a 3D look, but it's all 2D. So just high-end artist, cartoonish graphics is what I am looking for. Though, that is near the middle of my list as I still am working to fix a few bugs and stuff left in my site.

12. cammeron12

cammeron12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By advertising the sites like gaming, entertainment, videos & music downloads , you can get & keep the users...
    It is beneficial for site & user...

13. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have little to no money to be advertising right now. I have tried, and started one advertisement. It was only like $10 a month on this average site, but that was last month and yeah. Though, I am trying hard to get this site rolling.