best way to evaluate ourselves

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by shubh, Nov 3, 2009.

1. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the best way to evaluate ourselves in terms of salary and perks as a professional when we go for new job?

2. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it's depend on your job. may u tell us, what job do u mean?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The way I would do it is to look at job adverts and see what salaries are being offered. Not all ads will contain salary details, but a lot of them will and this will give you a good idea as to what companies are paying someone with your skills and experience. You could also do some research to find "salary surveys" completed in your geographic area.

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Talk directly to job agencies. Many of them do a lot of research on salary ranges with many different industries.

One thing I would add though is that salary and 'perks' don't make a job more interesting or a company a better place to work. Make sure you enjoy your chosen profession and if you do, money is not the key driver in any decision. I would not have a problem taking a 10% pay cut if the choice was between working in my chosen profession or another one & in fact I will be taking a pay decrease next year when I move back to the UK, but I love what I do and no amount of money would change that. I have in places previously for more money, but the place was awful and it was not good for health or happiness.

5. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should also consider what are the things you like to do - your passion towards the job. It's not always the perks and money.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point, life's too short to spend working in a job you don't enjoy, even if it pays well. Much better to find a job that you are passionate about and that truly interests you. Plus you are much more likely to be successful if you are inspired by and enjoy what you are doing.

7. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing to do is learn something that interests you, Master it and make other pay you to do what you like.

Then you will be making money doing what you like.

8. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can assess yourself in these categories:

Ambition - Do you have goals and do you have a plan to reach those?

Confidence - Do you know the quality of your work? Do you have the skills now or the capability to achieve them?

Organization - Are you well organized?

Energy - Do you have what it takes to work until the job is done?

Leadership - Can you motivate others towards a common goal?

Risk-taking - Do you know when its smart to take risks? Are you willing to step out of your comfort zone?

Humility - Are you humble enough to take blame if something goes wrong?

Answer these questions and determine some of your strengths and weaknesses.

source http://www.learnthat.com/business/learn-92-evaluate_yourself.htm

9. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ask your contemporaries for honest assessment of your abilities. Unfortunately you are unlikely to get one - better off asking your boss.

Ed