Best way to chose web host

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by gnine11, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gnine11

gnine11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everybody,

I have a new concept of providing coaching to undergraduates and for helping them i want to design a website which i will do it on my own. My website is more of a static but i want students to have thier account on that site.The only question is how to decide which web hosting service to go for and

What is the best way for choosing web host: Is it?
    1) amount of web space and bandwidth he is providing.
    2) his quality of service.
    3) platform (windows or linux).
    4) money he is asking .

I need your suggestions?

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

2, 3, and 4 are the important ones, as for 1, they, almost all hosts, have gotten to using a business model that says to over sell disk space so that is really fluff. If anyone offers a realistic amount of space, say 5GB to 50GB, they will get no business, since people are thinking someone else could offer 500GB of space for a site for the same price.

Hostgator has good service from having dealt with them, same with BlueHost, while GoDaddy is to be avoided by all means. If you need a VPS rackforce is great.

Get on to a Linux server, they are more stable and all the software that runs the web, that matters, runs on Linux. If a bug in the open source software is found it is fix quickly, unlike MS with the delays in getting their service packs out.

During your first month go through and do a check to see how many other sites are hosted on the server you are on, especially if you buy a shared plan. Then divide your servers resources, CPU(s) and RAM by the number of sites. I have known some that stuff 1,000 active sites on a server, so you would get 0.1% of all the resources available, if you use more then what is alloted they ask you to pay more. On a server with 4GB of RAM you only get 4MB to use, and if you have a members area, that is not squat.

#2 pendelton, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that quality of service and support is by far the most important aspect. The other points you mention are things that are black and white. What I mean by that is that the host either has them or hasn't. You could draw up a list of your requirements in these areas and a quick check of any host's website will tell you whether or not they meet them.

Quality of service and uptime are what differentiates a good host from a bad one. Choosing a bad host can be very costly in terms of your time and money lost while your site is down. You can get an idea of the level of service a particular host provides by sending them some pre-sales questions by email and seeing how quickly they reply and by asking for opinions about them on webmaster and web hosting forums.

Please see a couple of links below to our sister forum, that should help you with your search for a host;

http://www.hostbidder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
    http://www.hostbidder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Good luck with it.

4. gnine11

gnine11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your advices.

5. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I chosen my web hosting from a member of another forum. He sold many packages and no bad words all positive feedback went towards him. So I went with him and it was great.

It is now a proper web hosting business. :)

Look for reviews.