Best Time To Start A Business; Or Is It?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by chica, May 24, 2009.

1. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been thinking a lot about starting a business. For my idea, this is the best time. Why not help other people survive the recession. Now, you may be thinking how. So let's brainstorm. Coupon Sites, and ways to save money are two. They are seen so much though. Not that those aren't great, I was looking for more unique ideas. I came up with the following ideas.

A Bartering Site.

Everyone has items, and needs items. This would be great for a certain area. I can guarentee there will be members.

College book trade

There are still college kids and they need books. I know I have a few lying around. I would gladly list them to trade for ones I need.

Those are two that I am not going to use... hehe The one I am will be my little secret. ;)

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I saw in the news recently that bartering has gained popularity again because of the recession. I've been seeing a lot of bartering sites lately like Swap Thing and Barter Bee.

I would also agree that websites which will focus on how to save and cut down on expenses will be popular. As you've mentioned above, coupon sites will definitely help achieve this purpose.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The recession is a difficult time for business, however it also presents opportunities. Businesses that help other people to reduce costs or to increase their income, will be particularly attractive in these times.

http://worky.com is an Irish company that is benefiting from the recession with the launch of a site that helps people find jobs. They have a ready market, with more and more people losing their jobs and worried about their future.

(Moving thread to Online Business Forum!)

4. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chica this is certainly a great idea. These sites would do well depending on which area you are focusing on. Ofcourse it will require a lot of research like : how many such sites already exist for this area and how are they faring ? Would ppl of that area jump at this site ? etc..

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I read a post by a web developer recently, saying how he got his first web design project through bartering. His client was a new restaurant who gave him a $500 voucher for the restaurant in return for a professionally designed website.

Personally I once got a logo designed by a designer who could not accept PayPal. I paid her by purchasing some make-up she wanted from eBay and having it delivered to her address. It all worked smoothly, she got something she wanted (make-up) and I got something I wanted (a nice logo).

Bartering is popular, in one form or another, and a well promoted site that effectively facilitates this, could do quite well.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chica: You know the ideas and that's what going on currently in the market. It's actually the best time to start the business. And it's now. All the best Chica and for your secret weapon too. :)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Another advantage of starting a business during a recession is that you can purchase products and services for your business, at a much lower cost than you could during boom years. I know businesses that picked up real bargains in liquidation sales.

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This is a good time to start one, but, you have to pick a market that is not overly saturated, or you will not really profit from it.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. The bartering site is the better idea of the two. Coupon sites are ten a penny and college courses change the required reading list often from one year to the next, so the need for a book can become obsolete fast. The bartering side would have more staying power. There's a site here in the US called timebanks.org where people trade time and services locally to do jobs for others they couldn't themselves and vice versa. I think this kind of thing will become far more prevalent.

#9 Kay, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  10. mirjana

mirjana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting a Business in a Recession

Starting your own business in today’s economy seems like a very bad idea, and most people are certainly going to wait for some brighter times to realize their dream of becoming entrepreneurs. The fear of failure is not baseless, but the truth is that with starting a business comes a possibility of failure regardless of the current economy. You should remember that some of the best companies started during the recession, they just knew how to recognize people’s needs at the time, and than grew along with the economy. That is a true recepy for success.

See more at blog.bizcloud.net/2009/06/starting-a-business-in-a-recession/[/url]
    Also check bizcloud.net[/url] to connect with 20 million business owners and promote your small business online.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Mirjana, do you have any examples of successful businesses that were started during a recession?