Best source of leads

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by marcus47, Aug 15, 2013.

1. marcus47

marcus47
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Salespeople need to find new leads for fulfill their pipeline.
    All most, all salespeople use social media for making new leads.Do they use it correctly?
    I’d like to highlight some source of leads.
    1: LinkedIn.
    2: Twitter.
    3: Live chat software.
    Here we see lot of companies use live chat software for making leads. Live Chat Service allows you to proactively talk to your website visitors and convert them into customers. I think this is the best way for making good leads
    What's your suggestion? :eek:

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This would be primarily for B2B leads, as members of this site are usually business people, communicating with other businesses.
    Be careful with this one, as this is mostly a social site, and not a site where people go to search for products or services. Therefore, it would not be advantageous to only post tweets advertising your business.
    Personally, I always close the chat window when it pops up in this type of situation, unless I need help with a particular question. Even then, I didn't ask the question in order to be upsold, I simply need an answer to my question.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm in complete agreement with joeroxx on all points. Getting leads is different for every business but I can't think of a time when those would have been good ways for someone to get me as a customer. I'm sure they work for some people some of the time, but they are certainly not the best source of leads.

For me, personally, the two best sources of leads are existing clients and my website. Other sources of leads are other professionals (other attorneys, bankers, accountants, business brokers, etc...) that I have developed a business relationship with over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best source for getting leads is represented, probably, by the opinion leaders.

They have the power to influence the decisions taken in a community.

The opinion leader can be a person (tv star, blogger, religious leader, dentist, electrician etc.) or an organisation (e.g.: Vogue Magazine recommends certain brands for beauty products).

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

How would that work, exactly, and could a business survive on these leads? Although tv stars do commercials, they are paid to do so. And although a person or an organization can recommend brands of products, how does that benefit a particular seller of the product (For instance, if Vogue Magazine recommends Olay cosmetics, how does that benefit Sally's Beauty Supplies? Consumers can go any source they wish to buy Olay cosmetics, they don't need to go to Sally's. Same thing with a person. If a dentist recommends Colgate Toothpaste, how does that benefit Henderson's Drug Store? People can go to one of Henderson's competitors if they wish. Where do Sally's and Henderson's go to get leads?

6. marcus47

marcus47
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As expected, your information is adequate for understanding. I think if you want getting leads for B2B
    Business LinkedIn is the best source. LinkedIn is an ideal platform to increase your online presence.
    The network allows you to build relationships.

7. xcubex

xcubex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeha i agree with these folks, LinkedIn in my experience has been good to me, got some good releationships in the same fields as my business, it took a while to find and get talking to people who know there stuff, but its worth it.

8. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are interpreting in differently here. If an opinion leader endorses a product then it is supposed to benefit the product manufacturer. So the endorsement is also ideally paid for by the manufacturer only, in your examples that would be Olay's and Colgate. The retailer would not benefit directly and they do not even use those form of promotion as well. If at all they think of doing so it would usually have some sort of extra benefit to the buyer to buy from them instead of any other retailer.

And the opinion leaders would also differ for businesses here. A big brand like P&G could use a model for the endorsement but a local retailer would not. For them an opinion leader would be someone who is locally renowned.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joeroxx, I thought the question was about how to get leads for your own business, not for the whole chain involved in a selling process (your customers, your customers' customers and so on, if we're talking, for example, about re-sellers).

Why should Sally's Beauty Supplies benefit from the fact that Vogue Magazine recommends Olay cosmetics? Olay is the main beneficiary. Nobody recommends Sally's Beauty Supplies in this example, right? They may get some sales from there, but this is not the goal.

You have mentioned that tv stars do commercials, but they are paid to do so. That is true. But they are still opinion leaders, no matter the reasons for which they recommend something.

As I said in my previous comment: the opinion leaders are the ones that have the power to influence the decisions taken in a community. This means that I can be an opinion leader inside my group of friends, you can be an opinion leader on this forum (when it comes to online marketing strategies, for example), electricians are valuable opinion leaders when it comes to recommending a local store, utilizing certain products or brands etc..

Let me give you a real example:

Jon Olson from CTP recommended my newsletter a few times in his seminars and we got 250 subscribers in a few weeks, from there. The same guy asked his community to join and promote one of his new programs and he got 50,000 subscribers in about a month. The guys from Legacy mentioned us in one of their webinars and we had over 300 visits coming from there and about 20 new subscribers to the list. Pippa Vosper, model an business woman, recommended one of my clients, a mobile spa company in London. She wrote an article and sent a tweet. The results - increased traffic to the website and new customers. I can give you literally hundreds of examples.

You were asking if a company can survive on these leads. It is the same thing as when using the other sources - can someone survive only on the leads coming from LinkedIn, or Facebook, or AdWords, or newspaper ads? Somme of them may survive on this (especially the ones that sell digital products) but most of them may have to use several different sources.

Getting to the first question - how does this work?

1. Identify the opinion leaders that can help your business
    2. Motivate them to recommend you (pay for it, exchange services, become friends and so on).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

So did I. After all, the title of this discussion is "Best source of leads". I define a lead as "The name and contact information of one or more persons or businesses, obtained by a product seller or service provider, for the purpose of marketing their product or service to the persons or businesses." Using that as a definition, your post refers to recommendations, not leads.

For instance, if Jon had taken the names of people who attended his seminars, and then you contacted them and signed them up as subscribers, then Jon would have given you leads. Also, if the guys from Legacy had collected the names of attendees at their webinars, and then you contacted the 300 people, the list you were given would be leads. What they did instead was "recommend" you, and the people then signed up for the newsletter. It may not be ethical, or even legal, for Jon or Legacy to provide leads this way, especially without the attendees knowledge (they may not even do it this way), but I am merely illustrating what "leads" would be. In the same way, what Pippa Vosper provided was a recommendation, not a lead.

Again, because the opinion leaders are providing the business name to the potential customer or client, and not the other way around, these are recommendations, not leads. There is no question these "recommendations" can be very lucrative, but that is not what marcus47 asked for. He mentioned places where he can obtain names and contact information of potential clients, which he would then contact himself. That does not, however, lessen the value of your advice - this discussion was just not the right place for it.

#10 Joseph.Shivell, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  11. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recommendations are part of the lead generation process, here. You asked for those explanations.

"In marketing, lead generation is the generation of consumer interest or inquiry into products or services of a business. Leads can be generated for purposes such as list building, e-newsletter list acquisition or for sales leads. The methods for generating leads typically fall under the umbrella of advertising, but may also include non-paid sources such as organic search engine results or referrals from existing customers. Businesses strive to generate 'quality' leads. Quality is usually determined by the propensity of the inquirer to take the next action towards a purchase." Source: Wikipedia

A lead does not mean the name and contact information of a person interested in your products or services (it would mean that if you would buy them). In most of the cases the leads are sent to you from different sources (opinion leaders in this case) and you have to capture them.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on this one. The recommendation is an action that the opinion leader takes (the equivalent of setting up an adwords campaign, if you wish, when capturing leads online). After the recommendation, those interested in your offer become your leads and it becomes your job to capture them.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If the opinion leader sends a lead to you, what form does it take, if not their name and contact information? In the example with Jon Olson you cited, if he recommended the newsletter, and the 250 people signed up for the newsletter themselves, then you didn't take any action to capture them. After they sign up for the newsletter, the subscriber list cannot become leads because, in your own words,

and you didn't buy them. On the other hand, if you had a way to capture the name and contact information of all 300 of the visitors the guys from Legacy sent you, they would then become leads. Or would they? You didn't buy them either.

Marcus47 mentioned LinkedIn as a source of leads. I belong to another social networking site that gives members the opportunity to list, in their profile, services they offer, and services they are looking for. The members that are looking for services are then matched up with those who offer those services, and are placed in the offering members area in a section called "My Leads". The offering member then replies to the member looking for his/her services within the site. So I suppose you do have a point, these leads do not include contact information, so the reply would be "capturing" the lead. But, the name and contact information doesn't have to be bought to consider it a lead.

13. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In this case, the lead is the visitor to my squeeze page, interested in what I have to offer. It is my job to capture their details through a lead capture form.
    The action I took to capture them was: presenting the benefits of my offer, testimonials a CTA message and a subscription form.

In the second quote, "A lead does not mean the name and contact information of a person interested in your products or services (it would mean that if you would buy them)." I meant that a lead means far more than that (not only that).

Please, stop twisting my words. I did post a definition for lead generation that explains very well the meaning of the word "lead".

Twisting my words again.

What I meant is that usually you do have to capture your leads, except for situations when you buy the leads from a marketing agency (or other similar sources). Please read what I said in the context, not only a few words.

However, I would love to find out what other members' opinion is on this.

14. Justyn Franko

Justyn Franko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How the pros do it.

Marketing is going to become “hybrid” where as by all these mediums will work in tandem to get to the most effective sales... 1 on 1.

THe chat software can be used but the key here online is “build relationship first” instead of market or thow out your offer. build rapport, then sell. Sales 101

15. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have worked for the same company for 7 years, and the approved uses for obtaining leads are:
    1) Using adwords ads to visit the website for companies that may not have sufficient organic listings (using software such as Excel, we would then create a list of leads, including the company name, the contact person's name and email address, the URL of their website, and their phone number)
    2) Purchasing leads from companies such as SalesGenie
    3) Visits by potential clients to a company provided affiliate site (they would be directed to a page to enter their name, email address and phone number, which I believe is similar to your lead capture form)

We can decide to use other sources on our own, but it is up to the individual sales rep to find them. As such, my knowledge of lead generation is limited to personal experience, and I welcome any assistance offered to help me learn about other methods. Because of my limited knowledge, I may ask a question for which the answer is obvious to the "teacher", but it is certainly not my intention to "twist" your words. Perhaps I was simply taking your statements literally, and, as my boss sometimes says, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask". I apologize if I have inadvertently offended you, and thank you for adding to my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joeroxx, you don't have to apologize. I don't take anything personal when it comes to this kind of discussions, online. We have different opinions on the subject and this is normal. I just want people to understand my point of view and what it is based on (I don't say that I am always right).
    My English is not perfect and this may have lead to some of the "misunderstandings".

However, I did enjoy chatting with you.

17. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a very happy customer base of 25 clients for tax business. Still is not large enough for leads. It will come. It is all about relationships.

18. marcus47

marcus47
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I can’t define properly about leads generation, as exactly I want to know.
    I mentioned LinkedIn is a source of leads but here I would also like to mention about Live Chat Software. As Joeroxx said that, I define a lead as "The name and contact information.
    You can get the name, contact information and email address as well through Live Chat Software.
    I think, jeoroxx pick up the right point as I want.
    And thanks to constantin, he is more defining about lead generation.
    As he said that,
    A lead does not mean the name and contact information of a person interested in your products or services (it would mean that if you would buy them)." I meant that a lead means far more than that (not only that).
    Thanks for improving my knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brainpulse

Brainpulse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For my point of view best lead of source coming through own site when your site ranking on #1 position. And other source of lead generation come through a social network sites where you regular to do promotion.