Best Qualification for SEO and SEM

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by David Parkes, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Parkes

David Parkes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,

I am SEO/SEM expert, having more than 3 years of experience in online industry. I am thinking to study further which should be useful for SEO, SEM and my post in the company. My qualification is B.com.

Please recommend me what is the best qualification which I can do.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Mehak

Mehak
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good experience in SEO/SEM. Now you can do MBA in marketing or MBA in IT.

3. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't just stick to SEO and SEM, these are very small and limited fields. Big brands rarely spend anything on SEO (they don't need search engines to earn traffic), because their main focus is social media. Therefore, if you want to advance in your career, extend your skills to other fields in internet marketing like email, research, social media (most important), media science and others.

Do MS in Marketing from a good university and, if you can, do certification from Chartered Institute of Marketing.

If you are going to stick to just SEO and SEM, you won't get very far in your career. You will end up in working for some small firm your whole life. Set bigger goals. Try working for established brands, for which you would need a master degree and some experience in marketing (and by marketing I don't mean just seo).

#3 prestonp, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  4. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should take up further studies in marketing. Because marketing is what you will need to reach out to people and offer your services. Become a marketing expert and promote your SEO/SEM skills aggressively :D

If you are looking for post as SEO/SEM, I think you don't really need a degree. SEO is simple.... content optimization, backlinking, number of social media shares, alt tags, etc. Everybody can do it if they spend time in SEO blogs and forums. A degree in marketing could help you though since you would be able to reach more people, create lots of network, create links, etc.

Also develop your writing skills and be aware of likes and dislikes of readers. A good article gets lots of shares and links which helps SEO tremendously.

A good idea combined with good writing skills and marketing skills should help you gain a high status in the SEO/SEM industry.

Good Luck :D

5. Christina Maria

Christina Maria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no such thing as good qualification for SEO, you need to know SEO very well and you have to gain that knowledge by reading materials related to SEO. Algorithm for search engine keeps on changing so it is very important to stay up to date with the algorithm and understand the new changes.

6. mishraraj2603

mishraraj2603
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey MS in Marketing is the best options to go beyond the SEO & SEM.
    Even I also want to dot the same. I have now more than 3 yrs experience in this field but because of financial issues, I can't go for MS.
    If you have that much power then you can go with this.

7. Maryjohnson1555

Maryjohnson1555
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you want to get good job in managerial level than do MBA in project management otherwise do MBA Marketing which is best line for you.

8. platinumproducti

platinumproducti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello sir

your qualification is enough but if you group your knowledge for seo purpose you can do English speaking course and MBA.

prokleencleaning[dot]com[dot]au

9. WetNoseWaggyTail

WetNoseWaggyTail
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, I have a Post grad qualification in digital marketing which gave me a good grounding in all elements, SEO, social media and content marketing, although I had already been doing the job 10 years at that point!
    When I gave up my 'real' job to start out on my own proved invaluable. I did my qualification through eConsultancy

10. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This might be off-topic, But can you tell me how it was? I mean the course, the price and other details. Thanks!

11. dyhair77

dyhair77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,

SEO is essentially a component of the larger category, SEM. According to Google’s Knowledge Graph, search engine optimization is “the process of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine.

12. nicewan

nicewan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got into SEO with no relevant qualifications. Just depends on how lucky you are with employers and how quickly you can adapt I suppose.

13. WetNoseWaggyTail

WetNoseWaggyTail
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It was good, hard work when you're trying to work full time too. It's not for the faint hearted. The thing I have always found with any digital qualifications is you don't tend to take away any really practical advice that you can jump straight on to and try in your job or for your business. It does give you a good grounding overall.

From memory it was about £2k a year for the full MSc. Details are here: https://econsultancy.com/training/msc/

14. johnbally

johnbally
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do MBA in IT & Marketing which will be good for your profession.

15. Maryjohnson1555

Maryjohnson1555
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will suggest you to take admission in computer sciences that will really helpful for you and also study different article about seo technique which will polish your skills of seo, and best of luck for your future

16. adrianlynch

adrianlynch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Go for MBA. As you progress in your career you will need leadership, management skills. The higher position demand more professional management skills.

17. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By this time you are much more proficient in online or digital marketing. And hence with the same achievement I would like you to go with PMP course. Now its time to jump onto the management department. Doing MBA is also a good stuff in itself but the essence PMP course gives may not be achieved with MBA. PMP is particularly designed for corporate project management.

18. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This thread is now closed. If you have something new to add, PM me and I'll re-open it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.