Best forms of local advertising

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO' started by mr.hazey, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    My family business is doing great however a lot of our business is through word of mouth and I am now looking at advertising, however I want peoples view on what is the best form of local advertising, what has worked for you in the past and what is a waste of time and money.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Money:
    $0
    Hi Rich.

I think some of the best forms of local advertising are the simple and cheap things, such as putting up business cards in shop or supermarket windows. They are great places to target for a business such as yours (childminding) too because parents regularly visit local shops. :)

You also might want to check up the legality of what you're doing though. I'm pretty sure there are limitations on how many children you're allowed to have in a certain amount of space.

- Grumpy

3. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Grumpy no offence but before you comment please think first, to do anything with children you have to be registered with OFSTED and they tell you how many you are allowed etc. You have rules and regulations, plus you have to have CRM check from the police and registered with local authorities and also have the correct qualifications, not any tom, dick or harry can do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Money:
    $0
    While I appreciate and know that, I wasn't sure if they had told you how many children you're allowed to have. I haven't worked with kids before so wouldn't know the exact procedures, so sorry. :p

Anyway, like I said, you should try business cards in shop windows. One thing that might also be very effective (depending on the age of your eldest children), you could ask them to create a poster to promote your business while they're with you. I'm sure if parents can see first-hand what kind of things the children get upto, and seeing that it's done by a child themselves might give them a nice reflection, possibly?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $48
    Is it a child care business / crèche?

6. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Childminding, my wife started it due to background thne as she got busier took me on as a partner and i run the adminside of the business.

7. ClaudiusJaeger

ClaudiusJaeger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    I read yesterday about the importance of using Google webmaster tools to specify your location. I believe this will help you show up better in local results.

8. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Google, google, google

Don't forget to register your business with google, and to have all of your happy customers place good reviews for the business on google. Also you may consider a PPC campaign, but not until you've got a decent site that sells your service well.

9. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Money:
    $0
    local classified and local newspaper is best option

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $48
    For Google, you probably should use Google Places.

For a local advertising and marketing campaign I'd suggest printing some posters, then visiting places where parents of young children go and asking if they would mind displaying your poster there. You could try schools, supermarkets, post offices, pharmacies, doctors surgeries, hospitals, relevant public / government buildings, churches, etc. Many of these locations would be happy to put up your poster, because you provide a service that is of interest to their users / customers. You could also try doing leaflet drops to housing estates (especially newer ones) in your area. Print the flyers yourself and then go walkabout. You might be surprised how many leaflets you can deliver in the space of a few hours.

Does that sound like an approach that could work for your business?

You may also find this related thread helpful - new business advice - nursery business.

11. Ava OuYang

Ava OuYang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    I think you may do some promotion activities, like supermarket. You may send leaflets in streets. Send people little gifts when they finish their informations about themselves. It is a better way to broden your company's fame. Give customers discount if they let new people to buy your goods. Make use of your old customers.

12. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Some good replies thanks but google really its a small business and parents are not going to google childminders....

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $48
    You might be surprised, have a look at this, taken just now from Google's keyword tool. The "Local Monthly Searches" refer to searched undertaken from the UK. Were any of my suggestions in post #10 helpful to you?

You might also be able to promote your business flyers or posters at post-natal classes.

14. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Nice idea thanks Fergal

15. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Give out flyers to everyone you know in the neighborhood. Ask stores if you can place your flyers there. Newspaper is also good.

16. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Yes flyers, local classifieds and posters will definitely be of good response to your business as this will attract more attention to those also who do not use google for such things. But going google won't be any bad either.

17. SmallBizAdvice

SmallBizAdvice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    The answers already mentioned are good. In addition, I would add a simple wordpress site with info about your business plus some testimonials.

18. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Advertising online and by word of mouth is certainly the best way to attract attention and potential customers :)

19. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Whatever advertising you do, online or offline, bear in mind the Four Performance Factors that determine the success or failure of every visual media advertisement:

1. Layout: the appearance of your ad. Get it right and you can increase your results by up to 50%. (Worth having.)

2. Copy: the words you use, and how you use them. Get this one right and your results increase by up to 250%.

3. Your Offer: the offer you make to attract prospects and get ACTION. Up to 2,000% increase in results.

4. Your Audience: how effectively you target and reach your desired audience. Up to 2,500% increase in results.

The two factors that most people are NOT competent to handle are the same ones that most small business advertisers spend most time and anguish on — the two with the lowest leverage!

As the business owner/manager, the two you're most competent to handle are the factors with the HIGHEST leverage8 to 10 times higher than the other two in terms of results.

It's not hard to understand why most small business advertising fails miserably.

Focus on who you need to reach, what offer you'll make to them, then choose your vehicles/media in terms of which can give you the best bang for your buck in terms of reaching and grabbing the attention of your target audience: parents (and grand parents) of young children.

PS: These long-established performance factors make a total mockery of claims that copywriting is the #1 skill you can have in online marketing. Copy comes in at a lousy SECOND-LAST, not even close to being #1. (Ask yourself who keeps telling you that copywriting is #1... it's typically someone trying to sell you copywriting services, ebooks or training courses!)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $1
    Advertise on Classified websites... this will get you targeted & genuine traffic.