Best CMS for website and blog

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by dexterallen01, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexterallen01

dexterallen01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which are the best CMS I should utilize for my website and Blog?

Right now I have 2 CMS’s that are running and I wish to determine a way in which the company website and the blog can be functionally fused into one. Does anyone know anything about this? Is my thought process going right here? Currently there are 2 different sites, separate designs, separate technologies, imperfect sitemaps, different plugins/addons for optimization, different URL/Permalink structures and more that is really tiring for me. I want something better as this has been causing me a lot of discomfort.

I wish to improve this because:

Single layout/design site & blog wide
    Single consistent navigation across the website and blog both
    Capability to have blog and website cross list content
    Single set of SEO
    Single site wide URL structure or permalink structure
    Single sitemap
    Decrease my vulnerability exposure (1 CMS vs. 2)
    What are your thoughts on this? Which CMS should I decide to normally use and how is this the best thing with reference to all round content management and SEO/SEM for my website and my blog both? I have been considering Drupal, Wordpress and Joomla but it is still being analysed, are there any suggestions?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would be helpful if you could link us to the sites.

I've used Joomla myself on a site and liked it but for simplicity and ease of use, I think Wordpress would be the way to go. Joomla can be, or used to be anyway, a resource hog. I haven't used Drupal but believe it's a pretty steep learning curve like Joomla.

Wordpress also has the All in One SEO Pack plugin in its favor. It's getting more sophisticated all the time. Here's some examples of how good it can look and how versatile WP as a CMS is.

Which two are you using at the moment, dexter? I suggest you narrow it down to between those if possible. Then you don't need to learn how to use yet another CMS. You're already tired you said. Make it easy on yourself as much as you can.

3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd have to agree with Tecknowoman and Kay, when it comes to WordPress. WP is extremely user-firendly, very search engine friendly and easily customisable to suit the look and feel of your site. You can have your blog running on WP and also use it to create website pages. Everything is linked together in the navigation area and everything runs on the one system that you can manage from the WP admin area.

If it's not confidential please do let us know the web address of your site and we will try to offer you more specific suggestions.

5. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would vote for joomla as my recommendation.

As you said, you need Single layout/design site & blog wide
    Single consistent navigation across the website and blog both.

Good luck with it.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wordpress is the best way to go. Although I haven't really tried to use other CMS like Joomla, I find Wordpress user-friendly and easy to navigate. My only current problem to it is customizing which gives my a big headache on the first time I have done it. But with good research and studying, it won't be a big problem.

7. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a web designer, I like using and coding WordPress over all other CMS. Though, I have created my own CMS for certain reasons and purposes that is just easier to work with for certain things.

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tried it all. I liked Drupal and wordpress depending upon your need. If it just blog and nothing more, wordpress is the best and you can find hefty number of templates to suit your mood. But if you want more than blog, you have to go with Drupal or Joomla. I am really an expert in drupal after configuring and using for both my websites moneyreallymatters.com and nrimoneyreallymatters.com. I am planning to launch another website using Joomla but it's taking me time because I learning a lot.

So depending upon what you want and need, you need to choose your CMS. It is easy to switch from Wordpress to other cms if you can take backup and load the blogs but its lenghty process. Make the decision by considering your future expansion and don't just take the current plan. THink ahead and plan. Joomla has plenty of components available to create a social community. Drupal doesn't have that many compared to Joomla but I like the simiplicty though.

All the best.

9. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do a whole lot more than just blogging on wordpress without needing to go to Joomla or Drupal.

10. sadrikdomnik

sadrikdomnik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think best CMS for the website and blog is wordpress. As i think it is the best CMS which has all the latest features, also it is free and easy to install. It has 1000 high quality themes and plug-ins, and good visual content editor.

11. Melvin

Melvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Obviously most people would answer Wordpress and I will not argue. However Joomla is good as well and these days there almost in the same level with wordpress as far as themes and additional plugins is concerned.

12. sadrikdomnik

sadrikdomnik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Joomla is the best CMS for the web site and blog. As Joomla is open source content management system platform for publishing content on WWW and intranets as well as Model–view–controller (MVC) Web application framework.

13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

joomla and wordpress are opensource as we could see thier GPL. there;s just too many choices for wordpress depending to how you'll use it. you can even create a web directory or even clasifiedads in wordpress. so i think wp is the best choice with lots of plugins.

14. agriya

agriya
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wordpress gets the thumbs up from everyone because it's just so easy to use and so flexible with the simplest templating system out of all the CMS's available. With clever usage of the Wordpress Pages you can create any kind of website layout, with various layouts for different pages.

The only thing I can see going wrong is if WP were to dramatically change their templating system. Most people move away from Joomla and Drupal because it becomes a pig of a job to manage the template for all but the most hardcore of coders.

15. viviandsouzha

viviandsouzha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think best CMS for the web site and blog is Joomla. As joomla was one of the best-designed options. It is written in PHP, stores data in MySQL and includes features such as page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages.

16. markuscastellino

markuscastellino
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whatever open source you select, make sure you have good security and backup for your host.

If the site pages are less then you can go for wordpress, if you are planning for more modules user interation and so you can go for drupal, just thinking of posting mass content then option goes to joomla.

17. Vekseid

Vekseid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a Drupal junky (at least for php based solutions). It's security is unmatched as far as php CMS solutions are concerned, and although it's rather obtuse and has a learning curve, it's a great deal easier to manage a large number of sites with than Wordpress, and a great deal easier to customize and theme than Joomla.

Another solution you may want to look at is Silver Stripe, which is also building cred.

#17 Vekseid, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  18. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My vote also goes to joomla, its easier to learn and implement. there are so many third party modules and components available for every aspect of the website like video,audio,picture gallery etc.

19. sshayndell12

sshayndell12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a question - is the blog a separate domain? Could it just be part of the main website?

#19 sshayndell12, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It can work either way, the blog can be on the main domain, i.e. on the index page or it can be on a domain such as maindomain.com/blog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.